What Size Return Pump for Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've been putting together a DIY sump, and have been ordering everything needed offline. I purchased an Ehopps Overflow Box PF-800 which has a Max flow of 800gph. What size return pump should I use to go along with it? I was looking at getting the Supreme Classic Mag Drive Pump MD 9.5, which pushes 950gph (714gph at 4ft which is what it will be when setup). Will this be enough, or should I go a little bit higher?

I'd like to go with the Mag drive pump because the price is right for the MD9.5 ($100), and it came highly recommended by several people on this site.

Thank you in advance for any help! I want to make sure I get the right size pump ordered so I don't have to waste time and $ ordering one, then finding out its not the right size, then having to ship it back and wait on another one
:thanks:

I think that would most likely be sufficient, but at the same time, I would always rather go oversized than under when dealing with aquarium parts. If you went with the Mag 12, you could easily restrict the return of the pump and then dial it into the maximum amount of flow.
What size tank is it going on though? It might be ok to run it with the 9.5 if it isn't a huge tank, even if it means the overflow is not draining as much as possible.

I think that would most likely be sufficient, but at the same time, I would always rather go oversized than under when dealing with aquarium parts. If you went with the Mag 12, you could easily restrict the return of the pump and then dial it into the maximum amount of flow.
What size tank is it going on though? It might be ok to run it with the 9.5 if it isn't a huge tank, even if it means the overflow is not draining as much as possible.

I would agree with Fort. The 9 should be adequate but the 12 will allow for more precise water flow with the addition of a ball valve. You never know what may come in the future so the bigger pump would be the best bet in my opinion.
:)

Ok, I think you would be fine with the 9.5, but again, it would not hurt anything to oversize it. With a 1" bulkhead on a drilled tank, most folks would be fine with the 9.5, and a lot of folks run a 9.5 on that size tank (or even the 7)... but your overflow is rated for quite a bit more flow then you would get from a 1" drain on a drilled tank.

From what I understand, a 600gph overflow would be perfect for my tank, and with the Eshopps overflow, the next step down from the 800 was either 300, or 400. So I figured I'd go higher, rather thn going lower. Thank you guys for the info! I might just go with the 1200 and do the ball valve, just in case the 9.5 is too small

Well I ordered the 1200! Will be here in a week. Is there any difference in the regular Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Pumps, and the Danner Supreme Pondmaster Pump? Seems like they both function the same, and are capable of doing the same, so is it just a difference in the name?

And my last and hopefully final question....for those who have used the Danner Mag Drive pumps, will they work just as good sitting outside the sump pumping water to the DT as they will submersed? Since space is an issue, I was thinking about running the pump externally, but if its going to cost me performance issues, then I'll just make a space for it in the sump and run it submersed.

Thank you again in advance for any help!

Back
Top Bottom