What spectrum and wattage bulbs should i use on my cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What spectrum and wattage bulbs should i use on my cichlid tank? I have recently switched from a planted tank with tropical fish to all African cichlids. Here is my set up, tho I'm still unsatisfied with the look. Something just isn't right about it. And I was wondering about lighting, will my tank look better with a different color light? Anyone's opinion will help

image-3371126002.jpg

I might add that my set up used to be a planted tank so all of my lights are 6500k 54w HO bulbs.
Also, I have a 216W 4 bulb lighting unit, If buy bulbs that are lower wattage, and put them on the system will it use less energy?

I you don't have any plants, it really doesn't matter. Whatever lights you think look best will work fine

Well that's what I'm asking, which ones look the best? What kind of light produces more blue?

The higher the color temp the more blue the light. Your best bet is probably to go with more of a white bulb. I think they look great in cichlids tanks. You can find them for very cheap at a hardware store.

Oh awesome that's good news because I'm a cheap-o I diy all kinds of stuff. Thank you very much for your help!

No problem. Just walk in to lowes or Home Depotand grab one of those white light kitchen whatever bulbs. They are waaaay cheaper than something made for aquariums and do the same thing. If you don't like the white you can always return it and try another color temp, but I think you will like the white

If the whites don't give the look you want you can always add a blue led strip to add some more blue. I like a little blue but too much looks dumb IMO

Depends how DIY you want to be really. There's some good threads about people building stuff on here. I went the easy more pricey route and bought a 48 inch for 100 bucks. Or in your t5 setup you can just make one bulb blue actinic for about 20 bucks I think.

Back
Top Bottom