What substrate ? White or Black.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

For My Discus Tank That Will Be Planted, What Colour Substrate Should I Use?

• Total voters

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am wanting to add alot of live plants to my discus tank and would also like to change the gravel.
What will bring out the colours of discus more white/silver sand or black sand/substrate ?
What do you think?
BTW the tank will be planted and contain bogwood and has a light blue background
(Eventuallly) :lol: :roll:

I love black gravel and sand. I think it makes most anyfish look good, and the bright green of the plants contrasts well against it.

malkore said:
black.
white won't look white for long, it'll quickly become dirty and stained looking.
not if you clean it properly. Mine is still white.
id say black for discus but sand sand sand for community.

I have white pool filter sand. It is a PITA to clean but when it is it looks natural (course it looks very natural dirty :wink: )

black tahitian moon sand is my vote that stuff looks awsome. i am thinking about changing my 20 gallon community over to it.

I like black too, but you would be surprised at how debris shows up on it, too. I vote for mixing it, with a salt and pepper effect, which is very good at hiding debris.

definitely black. white becomes dirty overtime and require greater maintenance (cleaning). also white is brighter and this makes things difficult if you really want your fish colours to stand out in your tank.

so: go for black.

I was thinking that, the black would make the colours of the plants and discus stand out much more and would also make left over food visable e.g. bloodworm so I can scoop it out to maintain water quality. I think I will end up with black but please can people vote on my poll lol :p

I have white in my 180g oscar tank and it isnt that hard to keep clean.
But if I had it to do over again I would probably go with the black to bring out the fish/plant colors.

my experience is the same as oscarbreeder. I had white in my 55 gallon and at first it was VERY white, then it turned to the nice naturally dirty white which wasn't so bad and I actually got a lot of compliments on. However, now that I took that tank down, I really don't want white again because black does help the colors on the fish stand out more.

With Discus, I'd go with black. I have the peppered look in all of my tanks like TG mentioned. I don't have any problems keeping the sand white. Maybe its the type of sand that is being used but mine is still nice and white.

Back
Top Bottom