What survived?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was away for a few days while 30lbs of uncured lalo lr was curing in a separate 10gal tank. I checked the ammonia level this morning and found it to be AT or ABOVE the maximum reading of my test kit. 8O

I did a 100% SW change immediately. I'm assuming that any hitchikers on the rock probably perished. How about "good" bacteria? Will anything survive?

Normal for all the die off. Some things may make it and some may not. I say you are fine. Just wait until it cures (produces no ammonia) and you're done.

Your bacteria will need to be re-cononized. Simply cycle the rock using the die-off and high NH3 to feed it.

Hey Charlie I got my LR the same time you did and got the same stuff from Drs. Foster smith. They recommend completely changing the water in your curing vestible 2 times a week. When your ammonia and other levels are at 0 your rock is ready for the display tank.

I just did my first water change and rock cleaning last night, and when I tested for ammonia it was also off the charts...if that makes anything better lol.

mdjxt39,

They should probably advise their customers to check ammonia levels at least every other day and to do water changes accordingly. I had done a 75% PC 4 days prior and was shocked by the ammonia level.

I am on top of it now. I did a 100% PC in the morning and in the evening pulled all of the rock out for a scubbing and replaced the SW again. I must say, it smells a lot better.

Give it some time and perform a few more water changes in the next couple of weeks. Your a step in the right direction.

Water parameters leveled off pretty quickly after the 3rd rock scrubbing and several 100% PWC's. Four days ago I put all of the rock into my display tank along with the 70lbs of lrthat was already there.

No fish, just inverts at the moment. I have checked the water parameters every day and ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates remain at a constitent ZERO. No hitchikers of any kind have been noticed. We'll see what this stuff looks like in a few months. Crabs, snails and shrimp love it already.

Back
Top Bottom