What Tankmates for my new German Blue Ram!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Braden8558

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone!

So recently I purchased a female German Blue Ram at my local fish store. She has been doing well in my planted 10 gallon tank and I'm wondering what tankmates would be a good fit for the tank? I currently have 2 harlequin rasboras, but I will most likely replace them with another fish. Maybe ember tetras or cardinal tetras? If anybody has any other ideas please comment! Especially unique fish that would work in the higher temperature. I plan to keep it at like 80 or 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the help and advice :cool:

Braden :thanks:

Could just do another male ram and 3 cories? About all that you have room for.

A minimum for 2 rams is a 10 gallon. Preferably more is better, they like alot of space.

I heard that you would want to provide lots of caves/rocks for them to spawn in, and I'm not really into that. Not really wanting to do cories either. Other suggestions?

Thanks, Braden:fish2:

Personally for a single GBR I'd want it in at least a 20 gal. Is there any chance you could upgrade your GBR's tank? They really do appreciate a larger footprint. It'd likely be happier and it would also give you better options for tankmates. Sorry this isn't really answering your original question but just thought I'd ask.

This is funny! I JUST also got home with 2 new GBR!!! But for a 36 gallon with kribs and also just got 2 gold gouramis. Anyway, in 10 gallons you could only house one GBR and thats it. Nothing else. Even then he wont be as happy because they like to be kept in pairs. They also need good water conditions which can be a problem in a small tank like a 10 gallon. I wouldnt recommend keeping one in anything less than 15-20 gallons. I know this isnt what you want to hear but it will save you alot of stress and $.

German Blue Ram Cichlid
German Blue Ram

here are a couple interesting articles about the ram. the second has suggested tank mates. i've kept mine with dwarf gouramis, tetras, apistos. really most community fish can be kept with rams. they are very peaceful. here's a few pics of mine.
36993-albums8518-picture32706.jpg

36993-albums8518-picture32703.jpg

36993-albums8563-picture44461.jpg

Hello Everyone!

So recently I purchased a female German Blue Ram at my local fish store. She has been doing well in my planted 10 gallon tank and I'm wondering what tankmates would be a good fit for the tank? I currently have 2 harlequin rasboras, but I will most likely replace them with another fish. Maybe ember tetras or cardinal tetras? If anybody has any other ideas please comment! Especially unique fish that would work in the higher temperature. I plan to keep it at like 80 or 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the help and advice :cool:

Braden :thanks:

How do you plan to "replace" your rasboras? What are you going to do with them?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! What are your opinions on the Chilli Rasboras or Ember Tetras? How many could I fit with the German Blue Ram? Also I'm not really interested in doing otos because I seriously never see algae on the walls really! It's strange cause my other tanks do, but I guess the plants just use up the nutrients in this tank so the algae can't really grow.

I was planning to either just give my rasboras back to PETCO or bring them to my LFS for some store credit.

I would only recommend one ram in a 10g, and only to an experienced aquarist. A pair will work temporarily, but the moment the female rejects the male's breeding advancements, all hell will break loose. She will be chased relentlessly. You may not be interested in having them breed in your tank, but it will most likely happen anyway (if you add the opposite sex).

Cardinals work well with rams, but your tank is too small for the amount of cardinals you'll need to keep them in an ideal setting.

Rasboras mostly occupy the mid to top layers of the tank, leaving the ram to hover he lower reaches. Add three more rasboras and everyone should be dandy.

David

I would only recommend one ram in a 10g, and only to an experienced aquarist. A pair will work temporarily, but the moment the female rejects the male's breeding advancements, all hell will break loose. She will be chased relentlessly. You may not be interested in having them breed in your tank, but it will most likely happen anyway (if you add the opposite sex).

Cardinals work well with rams, but your tank is too small for the amount of cardinals you'll need to keep them in an ideal setting.

Rasboras mostly occupy the mid to top layers of the tank, leaving the ram to hover he lower reaches. Add three more rasboras and everyone should be dandy.

David

I totally agree with this. Your rasboras are perfect tank mates and handle the slightly higher temps rams like. If your insistant on rehoming the rasboras then then 5 or 6 of the nano fish would work with your ram.

Thanks for all of the replies and opinions! Glad I got to hear them.

I may not get more rasboras because I think I would like something else and I have lost some of them to and may not want to deal with having it again. It was like the bottom of their tail was being eaten away. Not the way end part but if anyone knows what this is, please comment!

Anyways, I think that I might try to do a school of either 6 cardinal tetras, or like 6 black morpho tetras. I might try to get some Amano shrimp in there to. How many Amano shrimp would be a good number? Also could I do 8 cardinals or would 6 be a better bet?

Thanks, Braden

Sounds like fin and tail rot without seeing it.

Shrimp would be ify with an Angel or two. Often angels leave shrimp alone until they mature and they they begin to hunt them. I often try a couple/few ghost shrimp in a tank to see how they do before adding more expensive shrimp.

Thanks for all of the replies and opinions! Glad I got to hear them.

I may not get more rasboras because I think I would like something else and I have lost some of them to and may not want to deal with having it again. It was like the bottom of their tail was being eaten away. Not the way end part but if anyone knows what this is, please comment!

Anyways, I think that I might try to do a school of either 6 cardinal tetras, or like 6 black morpho tetras. I might try to get some Amano shrimp in there to. How many Amano shrimp would be a good number? Also could I do 8 cardinals or would 6 be a better bet?

Thanks, Braden

If you're going to do cardinals I'd probably only do 6, since it's only a 10 gallon. But for smaller tanks i always like recommending endlers, they're really cool little fish.

I love Endler also for small tanks. I have 9 males in a 12 fluval edge since I don't want fry.

Back
Top Bottom