What the Heck?? Dead Clownfish Jumped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Starting a 55 gallon with what I already have???

Ok, I am wondering why and how.

I have a lid on my fish tank, there is only two areas that a fish could possible jump from. I had two Clown fish jump from my tank. I found the last one dead just a few minutes ago and what gets me, I was looking at him Swimming happy 20 minutes ago. I was watching a TV show after I watched my tank, and when I got up to go to the bathroom, I found my Clown dead on the floor.

I don't get it! I thought Clowns were not suppose to jump? There not known as jumpers are they? I see Clowns in open top tanks all the time, without any problems. WHY ME??????

Now I have three fish again. I want Four in my tank, but don't know what to put in. I am done with Clowns, but what should I do?

I have

1. Six Line Wrasse
1. Flame HawkFish
1. Blue Spotted Puffer.

What can I put in to replace my lost Clown? I bought the Puffer as a replacement for my other Clown that jumped. Tank is 29 gallons, and Water Parameters are good.

Last edited:
I like the purple fire fish. I wonder why the clown jumped? They don't usually but I guess nothing Is unheard of! Does the puffer bully it? They can be bossy...

Attachments

• image-692624739.jpg
    image-692624739.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 101
Good News and Bad News.

First The Puffer has not bullied the Clown, as far as I know. The Clown always stayed at the top. Always!! I had two clowns in the tank very first fish. Had two weeks before any other tank mate. Stayed at the top corner of the tank. Both Jumped. I watched my fish, and they leave one another alone. I have not seen any bullying at all.

Bad News first. :p Tip of the Day, never take your wife Fish Shopping. I ended up with a fish that really don't belong in a 29 gallon tank. They can be in a 29 gallon according to all the research I have done. Well My wife liked the Coral Beauty they had at the pet shop tonight. I explained they needed a bigger tank, and that I am pushing it with the Puffer already. I picked out all the fish the first time, and she was upset that she had no part in the tank. I ended up buying her the Coral Beauty.

Good News.

What sold me on the Coral Beauty?? She told me if I bought the Fish tonight, we can Upgrade to a 55 Gallon as soon as possible. SOLD!! :p I got all the equipment to go bigger already, got 50 pounds of live rock, and 60 pounds of sand. I got the Heater for a 75 gallon tank and a Skimmer that does 110 gallon tanks. All I need is the tank and stand!! We are upgrading at the end of next month. My canister filter only does 45 gallons, but I figured with my Skimmer and my Rock I should be fine with filtration. Everyone told me to drop the canister anyway and just go with the rock and skimmer. I will be using my old 29 gallon as a sump tank. SO I am excited and will have a new build thread up by the end of next month. :p

I will not be adding any fish to my 55 gallon. I will only have the four fish I have now in it and that's it.

They can see the holes you leave open. If you are going to cover your tank because of jumpers, think that they are LOOKING for holes..caves...ways to escape.

Mr_X

I got a lot of caves in my tank. :-(

This is a picture of my tank the way I have it right now. The Clown is gone. The Hawk Fish never bullied the Clown, and only came up for feeding. I took out the Artificial anemia anemone. I tried to see if he would host it, but it was a no go. It was worth a shot I thought. The Clown jumped out on the left side of the tank where the filter line is coming out.

I hope you can see the Lid I put on. My clowns were really small. In fact when I showed the lady at the pet store tonight she couldn't believe how small the thing was. The Clown was not even an inch long.

The Top picture is my newest rock arrangement, there is more caves in the bank of the rock. The pic with the lid is the old arrangement.

Attachments

• IMG_0300.jpg
    IMG_0300.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7269.jpg
    IMG_7269.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 109
Yeah, it would be pushing it. :p With the 55 I can buy the tank with everything in a kit for only 150. A stand easily for 60. 75 gallon would be too big as I might be moving in a few months anyway. Being I am only going to have the four fish in this tank, I think it would be perfect for them to live their whole lives in. I can focus on building my 180 gallon with new fish when the time comes. I am planing that for about a 2 year project. So I don't need anything bigger.

Good News

The Coral Angel is settled in nicely! Swimming in and out of the live rock and picking off it already. The guy has lots of space, I forget how big a 29 is sometimes. I know it's not the best size for the Angel, but he has 50 pounds of live rock to swim in and out of. All the other fish are happy and don't seem to notice at all that their is a new guy in the tank. I watched for hours today and no chasing or nipping. So I am happy!!

The good news is, we are about to do our Income Taxes, so the bigger tank will be coming soon. I figure I need at least $350 for the project. I am going to get a kit, that way I can set up my other 29 gallon as a QT tank some day (I have two 29G tanks). The Kit will come with everything I would need for a QT tank, I will need it for when I do my 180 gallon. That's about $150 for everything, than I will need a stand. That's another $150. I will add a few more pounds of live rock.

I do have a question. I will be setting up my new tank with only a power head to move the water around. I will only have about 10 pounds of live rock in the 55 gallon tank to start the cycle, and a few pounds of sand. How do I move everything over? The sand I have now in my 29 gallon tank and the rock? How would I move that over without hurting my fish? Do I just do it once the 55 is cycled all at once? Or do I just start taking the rock out form the 29 gallon and move it to the 55 gallon slowly? When do I move the skimmer and everything else? I never have done a transfer and I don't want to kill my fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom