What the heck is this- graphic photo warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been treating for ich because at first this presented as ich. I'm now wondering after getting this fish out of the tank and euthanizing before it got nasty if it's some other parasite. I'm using malachite green and nitrofurazone mix and 86 degrees temp. Fish are dropping like flies. 15 to 20 died today. Tank was an over crowded guppy tank that I thought had ich a month ago so it's been on qt status for a long time. New pet store fish were placed in the tank without qt and without my knowledge as I was out of town. I'm guessing this was end of July. The fish once dead are very rapidly decaying but could be the temp. the male betta who is in the tank also has some huge white growth on both sides of his belly area. He's had this since I got home Aug 2. I thought it was some genetic issue but now rethinking. I haven't sold fish from this tank in months and there have not been very many fry making it despite being very well fed 2 to 3 times daily.

I'm not testing the water because I can't afford to expose the test kit to whatever is in this tank and at this point I think they are all goners so why bother? I was going to cull the entire tank but my mother insisted after pulling out all the dead that I try meds one last time. I don't share nets between tanks or share specimen containers and the siphon used for this tank has been only for this tank. I'm really at a loss here because I'm afraid somehow this will spread to my new fish that I just made a big investment in.

So please help me and I'm sorry if the dead fish pics are disturbing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442364960270.jpg
    1442364960270.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 1442364975563.jpg
    1442364975563.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 1442364998308.jpg
    1442364998308.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 161
If this is a greyish colored tuft of almost fuzz like stuff, it's probably Lymphosistis. It's a virus and usually brought out by bad water conditions. It typically attaches to the edge of fins first then other areas. It's not usually lethal but it is difficult to cure. Not sure which meds available today will work on it. You may want to contact Fishy Pharmacy or National Fish Pharmicueticals ( 520- 298-7814 ) to discuss what's available.

Hope this helps (y)

If this is a greyish colored tuft of almost fuzz like stuff, it's probably Lymphosistis. It's a virus and usually brought out by bad water conditions. It typically attaches to the edge of fins first then other areas. It's not usually lethal but it is difficult to cure. Not sure which meds available today will work on it. You may want to contact Fishy Pharmacy or National Fish Pharmicueticals ( 520- 298-7814 ) to discuss what's available.

Hope this helps (y)

Sorry for the cellphone pic. It's really a white cyst. No fuzz that I can see. I still have euthed fish in a container so if I wait awhile will maybe the parasite leave it? Don't have the equip needed to open the cyst or the fish up safely without contamination. I should have studied animal biology, it's really more fascinating than my useless English degree and then I could know what I'm dealing with.

Sorry for the cellphone pic. It's really a white cyst. No fuzz that I can see. I still have euthed fish in a container so if I wait awhile will maybe the parasite leave it? Don't have the equip needed to open the cyst or the fish up safely without contamination. I should have studied animal biology, it's really more fascinating than my useless English degree and then I could know what I'm dealing with.

I would still have a discussion with NFP as it's size and location is really similar to Lymph. Usually cysts are more on the body than the edges of fins. Even if it were a cyst, fish shouldn't be dying from that.

Here's a bad pic of the betta's growth.

Attachments

• 1442373930413.jpg
    1442373930413.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 157
So finally got a better shot of the betta who is fading. It looks like someone stuck a piece of chewed gum on him and wrapped it around his body

Attachments

• 1442383642169.jpg
    1442383642169.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 157
It did seem to rapidly get worse when I turned the heat to 86 degrees thinking it was ich. I have salt but not kanamycin. Furan is already in the water. I really doubt that I can save these fish. The only reason I didn't cull them all is because my mother pleaded with me not to. I now have a much better idea what to look for next time due to you both bits of advice here. The tank was way over stocked and I'm sure over fed for awhile. I need to build up my medicine chest for fish.

So no more deaths over night. Turned heater off and am in the process of adding salt. When in doubt add salt. At this point what can it hurt? If these fish make it I am never selling them because they must have superior immune systems.

So since I last posted only a very few fish have died. They are actually more lively than they have been. Seems good old fashioned salt should have been higher up in my bag of tricks.

So since I last posted only a very few fish have died. They are actually more lively than they have been. Seems good old fashioned salt should have been higher up in my bag of tricks.

But did you ever find out what exactly it was? That will go further into preventing it from happening again.

Not yet. I haven't been well at over the last week. I will still calls and try to find out.

I think you are giving salt too much credit IMO.
I think the lowering of temp probably had a quicker impact if it is columnaris.
If it is columnaris it is not gone.
You will see it again IMO.
But did you ever find out what exactly it was? That will go further into preventing it from happening again.

^^THIS^^

I wish I had my own microscope for these times. I'll call and try to find out.

I wish I had my own microscope for these times. I'll call and try to find out.

I don't own a microscope and not sure I would be much good with one.

I have instead gone down the same road,and through ;
hard knocks,search and read after search and read, advice from a few good friends,a couple unsuccessful attemps at 'repair' learned or better yet found sources for disease recognition and treatment.
As a breeder or even owner of a fish room this is huge IMO.
You even mentioned close quarters being considered for disease spread, which I completely agree with .
It is my opinion that columnaris is the fish flu of the decade?
It is still developing and changing behavior.

I'm re reading the links you provided. I'm just not used to dealing with disease and that ignorance to disease is my own fault. I really need to read up on this stuff if I'm to have any success with my fish. I'm going to try to run out and find kanamycin today. I'll do a water change and then redose the furan and add kanamycin and maybe also keep up with salt. I thought I read in one of those links that it makes for a less desirable environment if salt is present.

So far no luck with kanamycin. If I don't find it at next store I'm calling my vet monday for capsules to use.

So far no luck with kanamycin. If I don't find it at next store I'm calling my vet monday for capsules to use.

Geez, back in the day I was the disease guy and my shops carried more meds than some of the local pharmacies. :lol: Now, everything seems to be so much harder to find. :( :facepalm:
Just in case you didn't know, Seachem's Kanaplex is Kanamycin so if the stores don't have "Kanamycin" by name, they may have the Kanaplex not knowing that it is the same.

I too was not a great microscope user but could diagnose with the best of them :whistle: It's great when you can see what the problem is when you use one but if you don;t know what you are looking at, you don't really get anywhere with one. ;) Then again, it may have been me. :whistle:I had problems using binoculars and telescopes as well. :brows::lol:

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom