What the heck, Otos??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is something that anyone with hillstream loaches usually do, works very well :)

You mean this is in books and has been done before? I thought id come up with a whole new method. Was gonna start selling little packs of 10 algae discs! Sheesh

just a question, whats your water temp? their digestive system literally just shuts down when its too cold for them. mine before died in a week because of this water was freezing brrrrr just saying though you may not see it but they it diatoms of algae and stuff

You mean this is in books and has been done before? I thought id come up with a whole new method. Was gonna start selling little packs of 10 algae discs! Sheesh

Well, the doing it on glass discs is new to me if it makes you feel better. Most hillstream loach owners put river rocks out in direct sun in a tub of water to grow algae and then rotate the rocks out in the tank for the loaches to munch :)

Well, the doing it on glass discs is new to me if it makes you feel better. Most hillstream loach owners put river rocks out in direct sun in a tub of water to grow algae and then rotate the rocks out in the tank for the loaches to munch :)

Yeh makes sense.

Well in a small victory for me today, I actually saw eight otos at once. I was worried there were even fewer.

I actually thought of growing algae on glass discs in a separate tank and sticking them on the inside of my main.

That's how I quarantined my hill stream loach. Grew algae on rocks in the display tank and switched them out every few days, cycling around three rocks. It worked, now the display is up and running I just overdose plant food (that is I feed a tank of rocks with plant food) and run extra hours on the lights.
(I had similar problems to you Jen, dead fish with no obvious explanation most times, the jumper was obvious!)

The advice I consistently receive on caring for these would be the same as for the Otto, that is with regard to feeding. Both loach and Otto do apparently consume real food, I mean food you put in, like a measurable "meal"
(I'm still, yet to witness it)

Another one died today :banghead:

I just dropped in a slice of zucchini, we'll see if anyone is interested. Of course go figure, someone knocked it into an inconvenient place where I can no longer see it.

The one today, I swear I saw him dead very soon after it happened, because I had been looking at the tank not long before (and his body was quite obvious). I can't imagine I didn't see it.
My point is - his belly WAS quite strange. It was a peculiar chartreuse color. Something was quite wrong with it.

I actually turned off my UV sterilizer and started a PraziPro treatment on the entire tank. It's not an antibiotic so I don't feel too bad using it "unnecessarily"

No this one was definitely weird. It was a really lurid green.
I didn't have time to deal with it so I put it in a baggie and put it in the freezer, but I intend to take a closer look later.

Last edited:
Just a thought.. Is there any driftwood in the tank? I didn't think they needed it for digestion, but now I'm starting to wonder...

Here is the tank in fact.
I feel weirdly self-conscious showing it. I hate that the plants are growing unevenly (back leftish group has been taking off, while back right is just putzing along). And I have nerite eggs on EVERYTHING :(

I'm certain the water quality is quite pleasant as my German Blue Ram is the happiest little thing on earth. She lays eggs every week.

Attachments

• aquascape cropped no edit 02.jpg
    aquascape cropped no edit 02.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 59
It looks gorgeous :D ! Scratch that theory then, that looks like it should be heaven for the little ottos... Parasites or weak stock are the only other thing I can think of.

Ah, thanks!
Well if I need more I will just go to Wet Spot and try their stock.
No one is even touching the zucchini. Seriously I give up :banghead:

First off gorgeous tank! Second off I think you got a bad batch of ottos. There is no reason that tank shouldnt be great for them. I really hope it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom