What to do about algal blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had recently changed the substrate in my 10g, which dipite my best effort to save my bb by moving my fish, old water, and filters all to a bucket (and keeping water in the filters, and only for long enough to get them running on the side of the bucket for the fish). This killed my cycle completely though. I have some bacopa, downoi, swords, and scarlet temple going with root tabs for ferts. Due to the ammonia, I moved my fish (2 molys, 7 tetras) to my 30g, which has been going as it is for several months. It's fairly heavily planted. Same plants. Ammonia in my 30g is now detectable but less than .5ppm. An algae bloom started shortly after in my 30g. this was two weeks ago. I have been changing 50% water weekly before, biweekly now. I've also dropped my lighting from 14 hours to 3 hours. I alse upped glutarol from 15mL to 30mL. Last week, a bloom started in my 10g (but I'll let it run while this tank cycles, lit 10 hours split). I upped glutarol here from 5mL to 15mL. As my 30g readjusts, how can I get rid of the algae bloom? Will it go away when the bb gets up?

Algae bloom (green tint cloudy water) or bacteria bloom (cloudy, somewhat whitish water)?

BB has nothing to do with algae blooms. It's more like your very long photoperiod of 14 hours. BB problems can be associated with bacteria blooms, however.

I had recently changed the substrate in my 10g, which dipite my best effort to save my bb by moving my fish, old water, and filters all to a bucket (and keeping water in the filters, and only for long enough to get them running on the side of the bucket for the fish). This killed my cycle completely though. I have some bacopa, downoi, swords, and scarlet temple going with root tabs for ferts. Due to the ammonia, I moved my fish (2 molys, 7 tetras) to my 30g, which has been going as it is for several months. It's fairly heavily planted. Same plants. Ammonia in my 30g is now detectable but less than .5ppm. An algae bloom started shortly after in my 30g. this was two weeks ago. I have been changing 50% water weekly before, biweekly now. I've also dropped my lighting from 14 hours to 3 hours. I alse upped glutarol from 15mL to 30mL. Last week, a bloom started in my 10g (but I'll let it run while this tank cycles, lit 10 hours split). I upped glutarol here from 5mL to 15mL. As my 30g readjusts, how can I get rid of the algae bloom? Will it go away when the bb gets up?

Well that was the cause of your bloom. Getting rid of it is more complicated than just fixing that though. You can try some of the blackout ± chemical methods, but if you have the cash, nothing fixes this like a UV sterilizer.

So kill the lights for a week once my tank cycles? What algacide do I need? No canistsr filter (I use HOB) for UV.

Back
Top Bottom