What to do when amonia too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took my water to petco to test, because my catfish pictus died. they said all levels seem to be okay, but my amonia is too high. The lady said to do a 50% water change and replace with bottled water and conditioner. Is this right? I have 20 gallon tank... that is alot of bottled water.. :wink:

I've had lots of ammonia problems with past tanks, so I know what you're going through.

A water change is the best way to get that crap out of there. You don't necessarily have to use bottled water, just so long as you use something to take the chlorine out of the tap water. Personally, I recommend tap water using some Stress Zyme. That stuff rocks.

There's also a product called ACE (ammonia chlorine eliminator) which I have used before when a well established tank went haywire on the ammonia levels. I don't really recommend that stuff, even though it worked, because ultimately I've found that the fewer chemicals you use the better. But if you use that stuff with a partial water change, you'll have safe ammonia levels in no time.

Next time your in petco I would pickup an ammonia test kit. Its good to have some testkits on hand when you need to check your water qualities and the stores are not around.

Depending on your local water quality tap water will proably be ok but as was said use a declorinator first and try to make sure the water is as close to tank temp as possible to avoid temperature shock.

They make products call ammolock that will convert the ammonia from toxic to nontoxic and that would help also. When you use ammolock your kit will still register positive for ammonia because it checks for both types.

Water changes are the best way to remove it as your diluting the ammonia levels.

Is this a new tank? How large is it? How many fish are in it? How often do you feed? The best thing to do is first remove as much ammonia from the tank as possible and then discover and solve the cause of the ammonia.

ammonia

I just picked up an ammonia kit on my lunch break today. So, If my levels are way too high, it says to use another chemical called Marplex. I would rather keep chems out. I am already adding something for fin rot and Ich. :cry: What would you recommend to try and bring lethal levels down? I have a 20 gallon freshwater with 1 fancytail goldfish (well, he was alive when I left for work this morning) and 2 1" planter goldfish. I feed them a pinch of the goldfish flakes in the morning and one at night. Yes. It is a new tank and still going through the 'Cycle'. The petstore says my levels have been acting correctly, but problems with the ammonia. I have had the tank running for about 2 weeks now. I have a corner pen-plax filter, bubble wand, and a marineland Penguin 125 biofilter.

I would cut the feeding down to once per day till your ammonia levels have gotten under control.

I would not use marplex but instead use water changes as a method of lower the ammonia levels. If you do one water change and your still experencing high levels then perform another change the next day.

its possible the fin rot medication could acutally be lenghtening your cycle if the medication is antibacterial then it could be doing a number on the ammonia removing bactera as well as the fin rot bactera.

AMMONIA??

Okay, I have come to the conclusion that the people at petco are quacks! I tested my water and levels were fine (for ammonia). The Alkaline was very high. I think it is due to the fact that are water is pretty hard. So, what do I do now that I know the alkalinity was very high?
.... and BTW ... The fancytail is still hanging on :D .. I kicked up the heater to 80 degrees F, like the directions on the back of the ich stuff said to do... Hopefully it helps

Actually, you should turn the temp. up to 82-83 degrees as ich cannot survive temperatures over 82 degrees. And if you are still using medication for ich, dont forget to remove the carbon from your filter if you are using carbon.

You can bring down the Ph and hardness of the water by doing a partial water change with distilled water. Go to a grocery store in the water aisle, it should be pretty cheap. I pay around 65 cents a gallon.

High Ammonia

We need more information on your tank.
Number of fish? size? Filtration System? Age of tank water?
But to get your ammonia levels normal I would recommend 20% water change daily, use your test kit and start to change the water twice a week (depends on what you test kits tell you). But remember, after the ammonia comes the Nitrites, so expect more troubles. Continue doing 20% water changes at least twice a week. After you finish with your New Tank Syndrome you will be able to increase to twice a month.
As far as pH and water hardness, I wouldn't mess with this unless they values are very high, if you have a 8.5pH I would not try to move it unless you are thinking on breeding. ph is very hard to control, pH drastic changes during a week are more dangerous than a stable pH of 8.5. If you are not comfortable, ask Petco to test their own water parameters with you present, you will see no mayor difference with your water.

Good luck..

I will have to try the distilled water. That sounds like a good tip. I think I have to start a new thread, because now I have a differnt question... and it involves sort of the same subject... Hopefully you will all be able to help with this on.... (on to a new post) :D

Back
Top Bottom