what to do with a 10-20 gall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I might be squeezing a tank between 10 and 20(long) gallons into my bedroom within the next couple months. I really dont know what to do with it. I have the light (36watt T5), a filter, heater, etc. I would just need the tank and substrate. I considered setting it up as a sw as I have the LR, sand, protein skimmer etc. but seeing as I dont have enough light for a reef, I didnt think that 10-20galls would make much of a FOWLR nano :-? so I decided to go freshwater
I am having trouble with deciding what size I should squeeze in. I am thinking 10, but a 20long might work...
I thought about some dwarf puffers, but I what I really want is some cichlids. Dwarf I assume? I would love kribs but that is really not enough space I know :(
I just need some opinions on what to do :)
it would deff. be planted, of course :D
thanks

I know this is in the planted section, but what about a shell dweller tank? Multies are awesome little fish and would work in either a 10g or 20 long. And they are hard water fish. :D

I know this is in the planted section, but what about a shell dweller tank? Multies are awesome little fish and would work in either a 10g or 20 long. And they are hard water fish. :D
I considered them as well, but I dont know if my LFS could get them, but I think they are my back-up if the 20l/kribs falls through :D. I have researched them multiple times and really like them! curiosity, how much do they usually run for?

I bought mine online and only have 2 right now.....I've seen them go for $5-8 online. I think in stores they are more....maybe $10-12 each. Kinda expensive.....it would be worth looking into though, just in case they can get them and for a cheaper price.

I absolutely love mine. They are the cutest little things. I have yet to get more since shipping really runs the price up. :rolleyes:

It also pays to check out the Fish Clubs in your area. Many may have them at an Auction, Swap, or even directly from members.

It also pays to check out the Fish Clubs in your area. Many may have them at an Auction, Swap, or even directly from members.
their is only one "local" (an hour away) and it is strickly reef :(

JOM20, my LFS has them for $10 so I guess that is the general price :)
thanks a ton. If this pulls through it wont be for a few months, but im still excited.
What kind of substrate would you guys recomend?

if I had the money I SO WOULD, but, I am only 16 and that is not quite in my budget :(

If you can afford Eco Complete, you can afford Aquasoil. :) A 9L bag is $23 plus about $10 shipping.......would be around $35. Eco is what, $25-30 a bag? Its not that big of a price difference, yet its alot better IMO. Aquasoil will soften your water too and lower pH. 6 liters would be fine for a 10g.........9L would be ok for a 20 long, although 12L would give you more. You could make it work with 9L.

If you can afford Eco Complete, you can afford Aquasoil. :) A 9L bag is $23 plus about $10 shipping.......would be around $35. Eco is what, $25-30 a bag? Its not that big of a price difference, yet its alot better IMO. Aquasoil will soften your water too and lower pH. 6 liters would be fine for a 10g.........9L would be ok for a 20 long, although 12L would give you more. You could make it work with 9L.
really? I had it in my head that it was a lot more than that :bowl:
were do you find it? I went to the ADA website and 9L are $28.99, and 6L is roughly the same at about $26 (3L bags are $12)

Last edited:
Hmm....I thought it was only $23, but looking at the adgshop.com site I see it is $28 for a 9L. :( Sorry. I haven't bought it in like 5 months, so I underestimated. It used to be $26 for a 9L bag (looked at my invoice from Nov), so I still underestimated, but dang......it was expensive enough already...they didn't have to add $2 more. :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure I would make the blanket statement that Aquasoil "is a lot better." Each has its uses. Aquasoil is better if you need a tank with softer water and in the acidic pH range; Eco is better if you need a tank in the (slightly) alkaline pH range and with a little more hardness. (Onyx sand/gravel would be roughly the same). For tanks where you need really high pH and hardness, you have your various cichlid substrates.

If indeed the OP goes for a shell dweller tank, than choosing Aquasoil would be an absolute DISASTER. Shellies need water with a very high pH and very high hardness; they are after all a type of dwarf cichlid. Even Eco wouldn't be able to buffer a tank at a pH high enough for them, unless his tap water is super alkaline and super hard ("flowing rock" essentially). Shellies typically burrow and otherwise play around in the substrate and so it really needs to be a sand rather than a gravel. The most commonly recommended substrate is "crushed coral sand" or a similar type of material.

If the OP decides to go in a different direction other than shell dwellers, I would still say ADA is a preferable choice only when you are keeping critters that you know prefer soft, acidic water.

I'm not so sure I would make the blanket statement that Aquasoil "is a lot better." Each has its uses. Aquasoil is better if you need a tank with softer water and in the acidic pH range; Eco is better if you need a tank in the (slightly) alkaline pH range and with a little more hardness. (Onyx sand/gravel would be roughly the same). For tanks where you need really high pH and hardness, you have your various cichlid substrates.

If indeed the OP goes for a shell dweller tank, than choosing Aquasoil would be an absolute DISASTER. Shellies need water with a very high pH and very high hardness; they are after all a type of dwarf cichlid. Even Eco wouldn't be able to buffer a tank at a pH high enough for them, unless his tap water is super alkaline and super hard ("flowing rock" essentially). Shellies typically burrow and otherwise play around in the substrate and so it really needs to be a sand rather than a gravel. The most commonly recommended substrate is "crushed coral sand" or a similar type of material.

If the OP decides to go in a different direction other than shell dwellers, I would still say ADA is a preferable choice only when you are keeping critters that you know prefer soft, acidic water.

I was thinking more along the lines of what would be better for a planted tank, not fish. I have tanks with both Eco Complete and Aquasoil and my tanks with Aquasoil have better looking plants, even with the same co2, nutrient, and lighting specs. ;)

I would not recommend Aquasoil for a shellie tank....I recommended pool filter sand in an above post. I have shellies, so I know they need a fine substrate. They don't always need a super high pH either. My Multies are in a pH of 7.4 with medium hardness and they are breeding. :cool: They were tank bred though and that probably makes a difference in their pH tolerance. A stable pH is better than the ideal one though and buffering tanks with stuff can lead to pH swings when you do water changes with lower pH water. Therefore, I don't add crushed coral to my shellie tank.

Shellies are dwarf Cichlids, but so are Apistos and their hardness/pH needs are not the same.

image-1337326006.jpg

I see this an old post but I had to show a few shell dweller pics, it's an edge tank six gallon

Attachments

• image-2168071689.jpg
    image-2168071689.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom