What to do with my 5.5 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 29 gallon thats up and running. I also have a vacant 5.5 gallon that i dont know what to do with. Anybody have ideas.

A community tank of nano fish, a betta, a breeding project or killies or endler's livebearers, a colony of shellies, a dwarf puffer species tank, a school of chilli rasboras, a shrimp and invert tank...there's a lot of ideas out there :)

There are so many options actually! I would highly recommend a shrimp tank, I have one going and it's awesome! But the rest of the fish that bruins said all work too! Those ones are great too and plus there are some beautiful bettas out there:)

A shrimp tank sounds cool! Should i connect it to the 29 with a pump or not?

I definitly want live plants but i think connecting it would be too much work

I definitly want live plants but i think connecting it would be too much work
Well if you could get a siphon from one to the other it would be cool. Or you could connect the tanks with PVC pipes and a pump or powerhead..

If you can match the upper tank lip heights, you could use a low volume pump on one side and the next size larger tube siphon to bring water back. If you go deep with the pump and the return siphon, you wouldn't even have to re-establish the circuit during water changes. The water will naturally seek the common level between the tanks. It would be perfect for a planted tank since the current would be low.

If you wanted to go with a canister filter, you could even do a pickup in one tank and an output in the other with a deep siphon tube between the two. I think it could be very cool.

What kind of filter do you guys recommend for it to keep the water as clean and clear as possible

TigerBarbs said:
What kind of filter do you guys recommend for it to keep the water as clean and clear as possible

IMO it really depends on what type of tank that you're doing. If your doing a shrimp tank I'd do a DIY sponge filter but for everything else I would do a small HOB filter.

TigerBarbs said:
Sponge filters just take up so much space and are ugly.

It can be smaller but it all depends on what you want to put in there. Plus you can always hide it with plants and decorations. Then again there are some small HOB filters that'd be good in there.

TigerBarbs said:
What are some good low light plants that shrimp like?

My shrimp LOVE my java moss. They also sometimes hang out in my Xmas moss and anachris, but mostly the java moss:)

I'm currently planning an acrylic display-refugium for my 9 gallon, I'll post plans when I've completed CAD drawings

Back
Top Bottom