What to Do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeBob

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay so after a long and frustrating search I finally was able to obtain some Rams :D I think the LFS got me though, there was one adult GBR and several juvies. So I bought the adult and 2 of the babies even though the babies didn't seem to have the right coloration, I assumed they would grow into it. Anyway when I got them home and in the tank the jvniles really look different! I think they're Bolivians, but anyway, my quandry is this; In my planted 55 I have

6 Cherry barbs
1 BIG Angel
1 Featherfin cat
1 Albino rubberlip pleco
2 Rams (one of the juvies just never had a chance - the other 2 chased him to death)

Everybody gets along well at this point (for the last 2 weeks or so) so I have been researching tankmates and am not sure how to finsh it off.

I am considering a school of black neon tetras (7) and a small group of emporer tetras (5) but I have read the emporers dont like temps above 80F and I keep my tank at 84F so I'm wondering if;

1 - Good number of stock? Too many?
2 - Will I be slowly cooking the emporers and should I consider not having them and keeping a larger school of the black neons?
3 - Any alternates for the tetras?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the BOOK I've posted here! :thanks:

I've never kept emperor tetras so Idk but I've read the like water temps closer to 75-80 range. That said most tetras are very hardy and do fine in a wide variety of water conditions. As far as the black neons go I always like larger schools of the smaller tetras (10-12) but that's just my opinion. As far as the ram goes I wouldn't worry about it too much a lot of colorful fish change drastically from juvenile to adult

I have not been very successful getting good shots, but here's what I have

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110827_122701.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110827_122701.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20110827_122737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110827_122737.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 77
agwats said:
I've never kept emperor tetras so Idk but I've read the like water temps closer to 75-80 range. That said most tetras are very hardy and do fine in a wide variety of water conditions. As far as the black neons go I always like larger schools of the smaller tetras (10-12) but that's just my opinion. As far as the ram goes I wouldn't worry about it too much a lot of colorful fish change drastically from juvenile to adult

Thanks, the more I think about it the more I like idea of a larger group of neons, I've never kept a real school looking forward to watching their behaviors

What to Do? UPDATE

Alllrighty then, at this point I have

1x Angel
5 x Black Neon Tetra
6 x Cherry Barbs
4 x Flame Von Rio Tetra
2 x GBR (? maybe one GBR and one Bolivian)
1 x Featherfin Catfish
1 x Abino Rubberlip pleco

All in a planted 55gal, I recently added a piece of planted driftwood to help out the ph, its been running 7.0 to 7.2 so thought it would help out plus it has cool plants!

I would like to add 4-7 black neons and 3-5 von rios to round out the schools but I don't want to overstock (please don't tell me it's too late!)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom