What to feed rock crabs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mybug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have some crabs that came with my rock from liverocks.com. Been debating on removing them. They aren't gorillas. Look like emeralds buty they are red and pale orange, hairy legs but body is smooth. They have been scrapping on the rock to stay alive.

I have decided to keep them for the time being but to feed them periodically to see if I can keep them happy when I introduce two Ocellaris clowns this weekend. Presently no fish in the tank at this point.

I've read that some feed their crabs and they get along with fins just fine.

Would something like a sinkable wafer from Kent or BioBlend be a good food to try ?

Thanks in advance,

Crabs are good scavengers and should be ok if you dont feed them directly.
You can try the foods you listed, it shouldn't hurt none.

They eat poop, fishfood, etc.

If its got hary legs, has a red or orange body, and pointy black claws, you may want to remove it. It will get big and aggressive quickly. Many have reported these crabs killing their fishes. I have removed all of mine. ( the last one started getting very agressive twoard the firefish especially.)

note that some crabs are good and will not hurt your fish, so don't remove every crab you see. just the bad guys.

No black tipped pinchers

Neither of them have black pinchers or any hair on their bodies so I'm still operating on the understanding that neither are the nasty gorillas some speak of.

Today they scavenge the rock mostly and I have very nice correline algae growth so I just thought that by feeding them, possibly once a week it might slow down the feasting on my rock.

I'm like everyone else, just trying to find the right balance and trying to avoid removing them needlessly.

I'm told most clowns will waddle away and sleep motionless up high away from rock so I'm hoping he won't even come close to them when they aren't active.

If the pincers are flat and they are grazing on your rock, they are probably mythrax crabs and will be relatively safe while small. They are omnivores and when they get huge, can pose a threat to smaller fish. If it would make you feel better, you could give them a small piece of nori/dried seaweed tucked in between the rocks. I wouldn't worry though.

Appreciate the info

I appreciate it, thanks.

I know everyone enjoys viewing other tanks so I'll get around to posting pictures to pay back this community for the help and related conversation.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Mine loved nori. They also loved my yellow polyps. So out they went. I didn't keep them long after they mowed down a perfectly happy polyp colony. They didn't bother my fish at all. Mine sounded just like yours. A red Mithrax crab. They had pointy claws but the claws were red and bodies smooth, with emerald style hairy legs. They picked at the rock constantly but didn't really hurt anything until the corals were introduced.

Good luck keeping yours. Unfortunately I couldn't keep mine.

Back
Top Bottom