What to put with Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gollom122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a couple of goldfish together for about 3 years now, but sadly one died a couple of weeks ago. The remaining fish seems fine but I'd like to add something to replace the dead one.
What else other than Goldfish can I consider putting in.

AFAIK not much. A loach or pleco might be okay but only if you keep the water at the top of the goldie range. Like 70-72. What kind of goldfish do you have?

On your profile, I see that you have a 15 gallon tank.

I wouldn't add any fish to that. The one goldfish will need all of it, and really could do with a larger tank himself.

How did his tankmate die?

they lived together for a year in a very small bowl - about 5 gallons before I put them into the larger tank. All my water readings were fine and the other Goldie kept encouraging him to swim around before I moved him out. The one that died had lost some scales, became very lethargic so I put him back into the smaller bowl before he died. This lasted about 2 weeks and he did not eat much during that time.

I'm going to respectfully suggest you do some research on keeping goldfish in aquaria, as well as bowls, before you go farther with the idea of putting another fish in the tank with your current one.

A five gallon bowl with two goldfish could not have had "fine" test results for water chemistry unless you were doing multiple daily 100% water changes, as is/was done for goldfish kept in bowls in China, in a practice dating back more than 1,000 years ago.

It's not only you, and not just in this sub-forum, where people talk about "fine" test results for water chemistry, but never publish them.

Properly cared for goldfish have life expectancies of decades, not months or years. When we confine them in a container, we owe them the best care possible.

Whilst it was in the bowl I decanted 90% water change from the Tank daily, which was about a 10% water change for the Tank. The lively fish remained in the Tank and only the poorly fish in the bowl. Thanks for your respectfully suggested comments.

Back
Top Bottom