What type of fish can live in a 5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm *planning* on getting a betta, but I just thought "Hey, what if there's maybe a different fish that could fit in a 5 gallon?.." This is more out of curiosity, but since I haven't bought anything for a betta yet, I may as well ask now. I don't think there is anything, but I'm really curious about this. So is there any other type of fish (or awesome creature thing, LOL. Shrimp, maybe?) that can live in a 5 gallon tank? And *if* so, how many?

---
I'm really interested in Neon Tetra's, but I'm scared that if I put a couple of NTs in a 5 gallon it would end up like: |:fish1::fish1:|. :facepalm:... But would NT's maybe work?:confused:

IMO, neon tetras are too active for a 5 gallon.

A single dwarf puffer could work (although 10-gal is better).

You could also do a dwarf crayfish or a some small shrimp.

If it were me, I would do a colony of red cherry shrimp: they have a low bipolar and will multiply like crazy without predators to eat the babies, so you can fit a bunch in a small tank! I have a colony in a 2.5 gal and I've lost count of how many are in there. They are also pretty active and fun to watch.

Most nano fish would work. Celestial pearl danios, dwarf corys, dwarf emerald rasboras, etc etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cpds!! Or a dp, I have a school of cpds and they are always active, but dp's have a better personality

Sent via echolocation

I wouldn't do cpds in a 5 gal- IMO, they are too active. I had cpds in a 10 gal, and they hid all the time, even when they were the only fish in the tank. They have been much more active since I moved them to a 25 gal.

A dwarf puffer would work. I have 2 in my 5.5 and they live completely fine in there. I have them with some RCS and there is only a little aggression from the puffers directed towards the shrimp. I it were my tan I would do a RCS colony with some scarlet badis to keep the population in check. Dwarf puffers can be challenging to feed and it takes them a while to get adjusted to frozen food. They will not take flakes or pellets, only live or frozen food. There are a few different kinds of cultures you could use to feed the puffers. One is blackworms, which are easy to keep and grow and are very nutritious. Another one that a lot of people use, including myself, is a snail culture. Snails grow fast and reproduce quickly enough to feed puffers enough. All you need is a jar, a few snails to start the culture and some small plant to filter the water (recommended)
The only reason that my puffs get along in a 5.5 is because it is a very heavily planted tank. The puffers always have a place to retreat to if they are feeling threatened and if they are being bullied.
Feeding puffers is really the biggest challenge with them. If you can get past that and if you are willing to spend some time each day training them onto frozen food go ahead and try them. They don't need the most pristine water out there, and I treat them just like I would any other fish I own.
Nano tanks are fun to scape and are easier to take care of IMO. Although, you don't have as much play room with water parameters or diseases.

Micro rasboras such as chili rasboras would work, as would fish such as the dwarf puffer, scarlet badis and pygmy sunfish.

I say dwarf puffers, or a trio of endlers.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Scarlet Badis can be sensitive and you need to make sure they are eating. Some only eat live food.

They need heavily planted tanks. I would not say they are "bold". But they can be quite photogenic when they settle in. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441272408.559136.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom