what type of fish first and when

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

euge43

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Totally new to this. Have my tank running for 8 weeks now. 2 weeks of that with a cleaning crew. What type of fish do I put in first.?
My tank is just over six foot. Plus minus 950 litres with sump.
My water quality is
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 1
Nitrite 0.05
Phosphate 0.36 (a bit high I think)
Ammonia. 0
Salinity 1.024
Calcium 8.25 dkh
Magnesium 1440
Alkalinity 11.2 dkh

This will I hope to be a reef tank. I have about 80 kg of live rock in it.

I would reccommend creating a list of fish you want and posting it, then we could help you decide which to add first.

Was thinking maybe some tanks. Blue and yellow. And maybe some blennies to start with.

Those 2 types of fish are very different so I would say you could add either first. Personally I'd add a blenny first and wait a week to see how he does. Also when you add the tangs try to add both at the same time and try to get the same size.

All this is prefaced by the fact that you need to wait till those nitrites are at 0 although 8 weeks of cycle seems pretty long so you may want to test again and see if you get a 0 reading. Are you running any macro algae in the sump or any GFO to reduce the nitrates and phosphate?

At the moment I have the normal mechanical filter media going over to biological filter in sump. I am also using a D D 800 skimmer. Also have V2 600 uv sterilizer. the sump is about 250 litre. Maybe I am doing something's wrong.

Back
Top Bottom