What type of fish is mine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nooner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help

Attachments

• image-1794548542.jpg
    image-1794548542.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image-828949197.jpg
    image-828949197.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 77
And do you know if it's a male or female

I don't know enough about goldies to say what kind for sure but my guess would be a common goldfish. As to sexing that can only be done when they reach maturity which takes years.

How long have you had it and how big is it? Where did you get it?

2 and a half years and my neighbour had lots of frys and I asked if I could have 1

Hmmm...how big a tank is it in? If its a common goldfish they grow to over a foot and do ALOT of growing in their first few years. As you'd is so small I'm wondering if it's been stunted. I got my first goldy from a family friend too.

I'm asking cause if it's only that size and the tanks big enough it might not be a goldfish.

What's stunted and my tank is about 4 gallons which is seems quit small

Nooner said:
What's stunted and my tank is about 4 gallons which is seems quit small

Stunted is what happens to fish that are in aquariums that are too small for them. Their bodies stop growing but their internal organs keep growing strangling them from the inside.

Fancy goldfish, for example, need at least a 20g tank for one fish. And an additional 10g for every other goldy kept. Common goldfish are really pond fish.

I hate to say this but after 2.5 years in a 4g yours is definitely stunted. If you can get a larger tank I would highly recommend it.

Thank you for your help is there any affects that I would be able to see

And what type of fish could I keep in this sized tank

Nooner said:
Thank you for your help is there any affects that I would be able to see

Not really although swim bladder problems may appear. If you can't get a larger tank or find a home in someone's garden pond for him (don't release him in a natural pond as he might damage the natural ecosystem) make sure your doing LOTS of water changes. On an appropriate sized tank most people recommend 30-50% water change per week for goldfish because they produce LOTS of waste. In such a small tank I'd be doing at least 50% a day.

Do you know about cycling? I'm sure your tanks cycled after 2.5 years but it would be good to test your water anyways to keep track of the nitrate levels.

Nooner said:
How do I test
I suggest you read these articles:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

I think your tank is probably cycled but it's good for all fish keepers to understand the nitrogen cycle and tank cycling. A good liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph is crucial for anyone keeping fish. A good one is the API freshwater master kit.

What filter do you have on your tank?

Caveat: no mater how well you take care of a goldy in that size tank the stunting will eventually kill it. I'm not trying to be harsh it simply a fact of nature. I'd really think about finding someone with a pond or getting at least a 30g long tank for him.

With a test kit. I would really just get a bigger tank. That's wayyyyy too small. You'll love how mug happier he looks!!!!

Nooner said:
And what type of fish could I keep in this sized tank

The only one I can think of would be a betta but even they should really be in a 5g at least. You could do a cool shrimp tank with red cherry shrimp.

I've got a neighbour with I'll put "karma" in there

I forgot to put in a pond in my last comment

Back
Top Bottom