What type of plants do Orandas like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy grandma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello peoples, I have a number of plants in my tank some of which the fish strip bare in days, others they dont touch. As I dont know what they are called could you please advise me on which type of plant the fish like best, so I can ask in the lfs :thanks:

Hi! Im not going to be of much help here (perhaps you should ask in the planted tank forum?) but i know goldfish are big plant eaters and diggers (digging & uprooting plants). Perhaps you can take some of the plants they havent touched to the lfs and get some more of the same? Also, posting pics of plants you want to ID would help! Good luck!!

I've read that java fern or amazon swords do well with Oranda, as their leaves are too tough for them to munch. But I have no experience, just what I've read.

Do you want to feed the fish some plants? <They do love veggies....>
In that case: duck weed is #1 favorite hands down. But they will try pretty much anything if you blanch it first (spinach, lettuce .....)

If you want to have a planted tank & don't want the fish to eat them, you are in for a challenge. Some plants are less likely to be eaten: Java ferns, Anubias, hornwort. However, even these are not foolproof .... They will munch on the leaves from time to time, esp. young leaves. <So if you get a small specimen, it will prob get eaten.> You can maximize your chance of success by having lots of mature/healthy plants to start (so the plants grow faster than the rate of consumption), and to choose less palatable plants that are fast growing.

Do you want to feed the fish some plants? <They do love veggies....>
In that case: duck weed is #1 favorite hands down. But they will try pretty much anything if you blanch it first (spinach, lettuce .....)

If you want to have a planted tank & don't want the fish to eat them, you are in for a challenge. Some plants are less likely to be eaten: Java ferns, Anubias, hornwort. However, even these are not foolproof .... They will munch on the leaves from time to time, esp. young leaves. <So if you get a small specimen, it will prob get eaten.> You can maximize your chance of success by having lots of mature/healthy plants to start (so the plants grow faster than the rate of consumption), and to choose less palatable plants that are fast growing.

Thank you for the replies. Sorry I wasn't very clear, I am looking for names of plants the ornada's CAN eat. I have a couple in there that the fish strip bare, right down to stumps, I have put them in the QT tank hoping they will grow again. As I am fairly new to fish keeping, I would like them to enjoy whats in the tank. So, it would be great if I could go to lfs or order online the right stuff. :thanks:

Mine love Anacharis and Hornwort.

Also I would recommend getting a veggie clip and giving them some fresh veggies daily.

I use NLS pellets as a staple but;

I give mine a Kale or Spinach leaf daily. Once a week I give peas. Also once a week I give them the Blood Worms.

Peas have a lot of sugar so I use them sparingly and BW has a lot of protein so same deal.

You really don't have to order stuff from the lfs to feed your goldfish ... you can just go to the supermarket & skip all the growing.

My fish go nuts for peas, and I also feed chopped shrimp from time to time. <Same idea as blood worm ... high protein so don't feed too much.> Other leafy greens to feed include spinach, lettuce (esp. Romaine) ... just blanch a bit & feed. <A veggie clip will hold the leaves in place.> You can also feed sliced cucumbers & zucchini (cut the rounds in half, again blanch to soften), and also fruits (apples, pears, ornages). Basically, if you are having salad for lunch, you can share with your fish. Just skip the dressing!>

As for aquarium plants, they will eat any tender plants. Duckweed is good, esp. if you can scoop it out of a pond for free. Fast growing plants like Bacopa, and the various Hygrophilia sp are also good if you keep them in a different tank. <You can then prune the overgrown plants & feed to the goldfish.>

Brilliant advice thank you all, I have put a little bunch of fresh spinach in & they love it, never thought of cucumber (I hate the stuff), so will get some and see if I can get duck weed. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom