What veggies do you feed? Pics please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know veggies have been discussed, but I would like to put it all together. I am giving a talk on veggies to my aquarium society next month. I currently feed peas, zucchini, cucumbers and brocoli. I saw BrianNY say he fed his plecos spinage and lima beans!
I will also compile everything into an article for the site.

Please include the veggies you feed (even if already mentioned), what fish eat which veggies and a pic if you have one.

Also, if you make homemade fish food, can you share your recipe?

Thanks!!

I feed zuchinni and yellow squash, suction-clipped at the bottom of the glass. Other things I have tried do not get eaten like these two.

I've only been feeding my ancistrus broccoli stalks, but I'm going to start trying lima beans too.

I've been threading a piece of fishing line through the broccoli so I can easily remove it when it starts turning yucky. Doing this also makes it easy to keep down the snail population - every night, I haul up the snail-encrusted brocolli stalk, clean it off, and put it back in.

Two questions about yellow squash, cucumber, and similar veggies:
Do you remove the seeds first, and how long does the slice last in the water before it becomes a slimy mess?

When I feed cucumber, I remove the seeds. The zucchinis I find up here are small and the seeds are tiny. If I were using huge zuccs, then the seeds would have to come out. Usually, the slice is gone over night 8O In the beginning, before the fish figured things out, I left it in for up to 2 days. It wasn't that bad when I pulled it out.

I don't have any pics but I'll take some when I stick in the next yellow squash. It goes in just exactly like zuchinni - almost shaped the same except a little rounder. I cut it into quarters and don't remove any seeds or anything. It looks very much like a zuchinni except it is yellow. I just clip one end of it and in the AM I am left with a skeleton. If I leave the skeleton another half-day it too is gone.

How do you feed lima beans? :?

Okay, I just saw Brian's thread with the pics of lima beans and baby ancistrus - Don't get much cuter than that....

I've fed my fishies Peas and broccoli in the vegetable section,
banana, apple and pistache nuts in the fruit section.
:lol:

Frozen Broc and Nuked Zuke.
The Zuke tends to be hijacked by the big Plec while everyone has a nip at the broc. I used to have a Plec that I could hand feed peas, but that was a long time ago and the new guys will have none of it. Jeff

boil allow to cool sweetcorn, break the outer 'skin' then drop in... goes down well with my cardinals and BN

I feed my Oscars and plec's zuchinni, cucumbers and peas.

Here is the recipe I use for my beefheart:

Everyone is always asking for this recipe, so here it is I fully back this recipe and use it myself as a staple food.

Ingredients:

*500 grams (1 pound) beefheart
*350-500 grams (3/4-1 pound) chicken livers
*1 can of shelled green peas
*1 small packet of frozen spinach(150-200g)
*200 grams (1/2 pound) of prawns (I like to peel and head them otherwise they pass the shells and they end up sitting on the bottom of your tank)
*1 cup of fish food pellets crushed (soak this in some warm water to soften, they blends smoother if soft)
*1 packet of unflavored gelatine to bind

Method:

.....Its really quite simple, everything except the gelatine needs to be either minced or put in the food processors and made into a mince-like consistency. I recommend that you do each of the meaty ingredient in the food processor seperately and then combine all in a large mixing bowl. Its okay to blend all the veggies together. Once everything is blended up, combine it all in a bowl. Add the crushed fish food. Disolve the gelatine in a little water(as little as possible) then also add. Mix thoroughly. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spread the mix evenly on the trays at around 1/4" (5mm) thickness. Place two layers of baking paper over the mix and keep repeating until the tray is full. Allow to set up in the refrigerator, when firm score with the back of a knife into equal serving size portions. Freeze. Once frozen break portions up and store in a container in the freezer.

How does everyone prepare vegetables for their vegan fish?

Can I just throw in a slice of Zucinni, or does it need to be peeled, seeded and cooked?

Do you just throw in some peas...I would think they would float and not sink.

I have 2 Mystery Snails, a Cordy, 2 Otos, and a pleco that would benefit to some vegetables every once and a while.

Thanks

To feed peas, blanch them in boiling water, cool, peel and serve.
I peel zucchini and cucumbers, if the seeds are large, I take them out. I put them in raw.

Toirtis said:
Most of the above, plus my corys get mango, banana, plantain, papaya....and pumpkin, when in season.

Hi Toirtis! I just got some cory's. Do I just slice up some banana and throw it in the tank?

Pugwinkle said:
Toirtis said:
Most of the above, plus my corys get mango, banana, plantain, papaya....and pumpkin, when in season.

Hi Toirtis! I just got some cory's. Do I just slice up some banana and throw it in the tank?

Yes, but only tiny bits to start....and if you have a problem with it floating, put it in a non-toxic, coarse mesh bag and weight it down.

I feed my ottos boiled/blanched spinach & raw potatoes , as well as spiralina tablets .

Hey,

I saw my friend feeding his marine fish with white cabbage.
They, the marine or salt water fish eats them with "Gusto".

I bought a "lunchbox" of assorted frozen food from petsmart to see what my badis like best, and it comes with veggie cubes. My yellow lab loves them!

Back
Top Bottom