what water conditioner do you guys recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
alright, i have been using water-rite powder throughout my entire fish keeping career, and it has always worked great

i figured out recently though that it sets the buffer for my pH down to neutral, which i prefer for my 92 gallon. but now that i've got my 55 gallon going, i'm wanting to keep more of an alkaline pH, and my water is 8.0 out of the tap

i definetely want to use something else for dechlor, but what do you guys specifically recommend? if i'm going to use any, i want it to be the best :)

SeymourFRESH said:
i definetely want to use something else for dechlor, but what do you guys specifically recommend? if i'm going to use any, i want it to be the best :)

I can save you the trouble from having to hear from anyone else..... Seachem Prime

That will be your 10:1 favorite on this board :)

honestly theres now chemical difference between any of the dechlorinizers, they all do the same thing, remove chlorine and chloramine, sure some opt the special features that make cycling a breeze, but all in all your still getting the same results, dechlorinized water, so just chgoose which ever you feel fits your budget best, but I use wal marts chlor out or stress coat personally

I use stress coat in my 29gal and 10gal now .... but i use prime for my gfs betta so they are both good IMO

Ray

wow, i just figured out that I used Prime lol. The guy at the lfs just handed me a bottle when I was asking about it, and that is what he handed me. I never looked at the name or anything, just took his word for it and bought it (i was kinda naive at the beginning of this, as are most people)

I use Jungle Start Right just 10 drops per gallon ( or 5 ml per 10 gallons ), easy when your filling gallon jugs.

No dechlor here; I run the coldwater through a carbon filter, and don't dechlorinate the hot water. Saves a few bucks in the long run, and is much easier when you have multiple tanks. Makes for great drinking water, also.

sweet! i just read about prime and how it conditions heavy metals, ammonia, and nitrites too! that makes me want to completely convert to it

the only thing is i'd like to keep my pH down where it's at, and the other conditioner i have already does that...so i'm not too sure on what i should do there to maintain it at that level

we are getting CO2 at some point and i'm sure we could keep it down lower with that...
what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom