What would you do if.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr Grant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in line to buy a 290 gal acylic aquarium for $300 if all goes well. 8O Guy just wants to get rid of it. I'm going to go check it out on Wednesday and prol buy it barring something crazy being wrong with it.

Well, I've been daydreaming a lot of what i'm gonna put in it. So I thought it would be interesting to put it to y'all... what would you stock it with???? :)

There are a lot of possibilities with a tank that size.....I get excited just thinking about it! I would have to go with Peacock Bass....I think you could get away with four. Either that, or an arowana.

African Mbuna. I'd take the fish from our 150 and put them in the 290 and add to the species count that we currently have. Then I'd take what is in the 55 and put it in the 150 and add more of the current stock. Then the 55 would be the African fry grow out tank. Yeah, I've thought about this. :)

humm wow, now my mind is reeling.
Betta farm
lobster tank
Big Brig snail colony - rainbow of snails
cichlids
gigantic planted tank :) with a river and waterfall, some land too.. A lizard, frog, fish, snail, turtle tank!

In my basement? i dunno what you mean by where am I gonna put it, I'm sure i can find some space :) . Musket, the land thing is an interesting idea. The tank being over 8ft long, it would be possible, plus river and waterfalls - that would be just crazy :lol: !!!!!

i would do some type of biotope setup. i like the land idea too. you could really do a heck of a job recreating a real eco-system with that much space!

If I had a tank that large I would start a native area tank. We have lot of interesting species right here in East Texas. Problem is, anything I need to know about tropicals is online, but native aquaria might be a little more tricky.

LOL Musket...a brig colony...could you imagine 100 brigs at feeding time? I've got an 80 that I've contemplated making the focus brigs, but that would mean all my tanks are brig based LOL!

Hmm, I think I might go with 1 really big school of tetras, plus a clean up crew of some sort. I think a densely planted tank with a massive school of neons or glo-lites, a pleco of some sort, a group of cories and some ottos for algae would be amazing. Common fish, but the large numbers in the school would make for an impressive display.

Another idea might be 6 to 8 fancy goldfish...I just love ryunkins! Add a couple weather loaches (they like the cooler water) and you'd be set.

Yeah, I'm probably too boring tee hee.

I think that would be awesome Gena. Think about it a 300 gallon tank with nothing but smaller tetras like Neon's, Black Neon's, glowlights, Silver Tips and such. Then put a cleanup crew and one larger centerpice fish like a large cichlid would make the neons want to school. That would be sweet. The cichlid might eat a few but with enough of them to propogate and a good plant cover, you should have them endlessly.

EDIT: http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Tetras, Small Tetras.htm

i would make it a really planted discus tank.
and i would spend hours planning it.
and i would mix up the fish so there wouldnt just be discus of course.
alot of gbr and other rams.
all different kinds of corey cats. and then a fair size group of like neon tertras or something of that kind.
i think that would be just lovely. :)

I'd probably have a tank planned around an Arowana. They're beautiful and graceful fish!

Musket said:
humm wow, now my mind is reeling.
Betta farm
lobster tank
Big Brig snail colony - rainbow of snails
cichlids
gigantic planted tank :) with a river and waterfall, some land too.. A lizard, frog, fish, snail, turtle tank!
Love the lobster tank idea. I go whale watching every weekend and I'm so tempted to buy a lobster to release it. I feel so guilty walking by them in the superstore because I know they'll be dumped in a pot of boiling water, but that's just me. :)

GouramiFanatic said:
I feel so guilty walking by them in the superstore because I know they'll be dumped in a pot of boiling water...
That's just SO WRONG!!! 8O

...unless, of course, you add garlic. Yum!

saltwater tank. barring that? any lake cichlid setup. man. having 40-50 cichlids in one tank? thats just too much!

Dozens of delicious rainbow fish....and plants, lots of plants....and someone to take care of all the plants....and snails, lots of snails! And finally a good home for Fred the Giant Pleco...and another person hired to replant all the plants as he plows through them...and....

Arowanas, archer fish, banded leporinus, clown loaches, discus, bass, pictus cats, bala's, defintly some plecos so they can grow into monsters, plants galore, lots of driftwood and rocks

Back
Top Bottom