What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so, I won't be officially starting my first tank for another couple months until I get moved in to my new place.

But while I do research in the meantime, I'd like to give you my basic ideas for the tank and see what everyone would do as far as fish, themes, plants, equipment, etc. So here goes!

I'd like to budget $300 total for a 29-gallon tropical freshwater tank.
What fish would you have and how many would you keep? What equipment would you need for those fish? What plants and substrate? What food would you give them? Would you theme the tank?

Hello Karegg,

I'm glad to see that you're doing some research in the meantime! My personal downfall (and the downfall of many others, especially those new to the hobby) is not taking enough time to just wait.

Anyway, the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water (ie you could have 29 one inch fish) but I wouldn't exactly follow that rule. It really depends on the kind of fish. Some fish need more room than others. You will definitely need a filter, substrate, plants (I would suggest fake if this is your first aquarium, however, there are many benefits to having live plants) proper lighting (live plants need more than just the stock flourescent light) and hiding places. You'll also need a thermometer and a heater if you plan on having tropical fish. I usually use TetraMin (I think that's the name, it's in a yellow tube) tropical fish flakes for my fish. As for theming the tank, that's entirely up to you. Setting up the tank will be a blast! I'm sure many others will add comments to help you out, too.

As for fish, you could get a few tetras or guppies, maybe a few cory cats (they like to be kept in groups) some shrimp (cherry, ghost, japanese) are always a fun addition to a tank, ADF's, or if you want bigger fish you can always do a few gouramis (like powder blue, or dwarf).

Good luck, and have fun! There are great stickies that will teach you the nitrogen cycle if you don't know anything about it. If not, you must read. The health of your tank will totally depend on it.

Whoops, I didn't even answer your actual question. Sorry! This is what I would do...

Sand substrate with live plants, smooth rocks for substance and driftwood for hiding places. I like the natural look. I try my best to set up a tank that would appear homely to the type of fish I have, for example, I won't use bright blue or yellow gravel for my fish with weird aquarium decor. But that is totally up to the taste of the creator. Have fun!

DO:
...read the sticky about do's and don'ts for beginners! Actually read every sticky there is in the "starting out" forum...TWICE!
...get what you like, and take everyone's advice as just thier opinions, you may or may not agree. I can tell you though, that most here on AA really know their stuff.
...continue to read and ask questions on AA. When you get differing answers and advice, read more and make up your own mind.
...a fishless cycle. If you don't know what this is, google it.
...force yourself to have patience, it is probably one of the best traits for an aquarist to have.
...go with natural decor like LB suggests, it looks great and your fish will thank you.
...have an idea of what kind of tank you wish to have, community? Predator? Species?
...look on craigslist and classifieds, even if you don't want everything, most will let you pick and choose what you want from their lot. It will save you mad dough.
...plan ahead, read first and buy second. Don't waste money on crap.
...get the API FW test kit.
...make sure the fish you have are compatable.
...get a python for PWCs.

DO NOT:

... use "clown puke" as gravel (as Rex Grigg likes to call it), people will laugh at you.
... be impatient.
...buy junk, get the good stuff first, and just skip the step of buying the junk.
...pet your fish.
...use your mouth to start a syphon, it's unbecomming and tastes like poo (I know).
...try to alter your ph. Work with what you've got, don't fight it by trying to change it.

What I would do:
Depending on your water, if it is alkaline, I would make it a rock-heavy species tank, using an african cichlid specific substrate, filled to the brim (way overstocked) with Rift Lake Cichlids/AKA african Cichlids/AKA Lake Malawi or Mbuna cichlids. They're really beautiful and actually do really well when overstocked, I've never heard this suggested with any other species. The problem is that they're expensive.

I agree with pitt420dude except I would not put most chichlids in that small of tank, IMO. I would go with low light planted tank and smaller fish like tetras or fish like guppies, plattys or mollies, if you go with thoughs be sure to get all males or have some kind of plan for babies you will have them.
The most important thing is to set the tank up to suit you and what you like.

Have fun and enjoy setting things up.

Very insightful, thanks!

EDIT: That sounded really sarcastic, but really, thanks. !

Back
Top Bottom