whats a good test kit for chlorine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't speak for chlorine, never tested it. API makes a pretty good hobby level kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Realistically, in an aquarium, those are the only things you need to test. Of course, there are exceptions like gh and kh, then iron, phosphates, etc... But those are what I would consider 'specialty' or purpose driven tests.

Just curious, why are you wanting to test chlorine?

You can usually find dip strips for Cl (which will be inaccurate, but anything above 0=bad so it would work)... but if you are treating with Prime or another good dechlorinator, there should never be a need to test for it. If your tank has a readable level of chlorine in it, it is probably too late.....

Hi I am wanting to test my tap water for chlorine to deside how much conditioner is required to remove it all. I do now have prime and on reading the bottle it tells you how much chlorine will be removed by the ammount thats added. Most dont tell you this and following the recomended dose comes nowhere close to removing it all with these other conditioners I have used. So for my own mind I would like to rule out that my tap water is not really strong in chlonine as im thinking this could be a possibility now.
I found an older post about these test kits and how they go out of date and how to tell when yours was producted, since my one i bought from pet shop 2weeks ago that can't even detect chlorine or ammonia in my neat tap water on looking the kit was made in 1997! and these chems only work for 3 to 5 years! so come weekend I will be retuning that, guessing they wont like to hear this but there you go Lol.

At our company our reps do chlorine tests in homes with city water. We actually use swimming pool test kits (with the drop solution) because believe it or not, municipal water supplies contain as much if not more chlorine than goes into a swimming pool. Wal-mart sells them seasonally, or I'm sure you have a pool store somewhere in your town.

Makes sense. Agree about a pool test kit if you are looking for specific levels for peace of mind. Liquid titration is far more accurate than the dip strips I mentioned. Usually ace hardware and the like stock pool test kits seasonally, in addition to walmart.

Back
Top Bottom