What's been your experience w/ Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of filling in my planted tank and I really like the look of Crystalwort (Riccia fluitans). Has anyone had experience with this and if so what it a success or failure?

TIA

Yes, you need lots of light and co2. However, the stuff is a high maintenance. First you have to tie it to a rock or driftwood (or some people have some mesh contraption to hold it in place I don't know much about it). Then you must trim it regularly, or the bottom part rots away, and it comes loose from therock or wood and floats to the surface. I always have some going in at least one of my tanks, but to have a lot, an entire "lawn" for instance, I could never keep up with the maintenance. JMO.

Riccia is a PITA IMO. Amano used it, but I think after he took pics, the stuff probably proved might hard to upkeep. I had it for a while, but the only way I could keep it alive and well was by letting it float. And it really does flake off all the time. Not worth it in my book. Get java moss instead--it *stays* on rocks, wood, decorations, and it doesn't require high light at all!

I have riccia in one of my tanks, I dont try to tie it down or anything, just let it float. And I throw away alot of it every week or so, it grows so that it blocks the light from the rest of my plants, so if I dont throw it away my other plants start diein off

Back
Top Bottom