What's better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fddlss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought new foods for my fish, all of them carnivorous and omnivorous. I've been feeding them Hikari Cichlid Excel Mini Pellets and I recently added Hikari Micro Wafers to their diet because the smaller Lithobates wasn't getting a chance to eat as much as the bigger fish. Last night I fed them Dainichi Iltima Krill (sinking and floating) for the first time and now I'm trying to design a diet or feeding schedule to get the best out of the foods.

This are the foods I have:

Dainichi Ultima Krill (floating) 3.5 mm
Dainichi Ultima (Sinking) 3 mm
Hikari Cichlid Excel Mini-Pellets (floating) 3 mm
Hikari Micro Wafers (sinking)

Treats:
Omega One Freeze-Dried Brine Shrimp
Hikari Bio-Pure Ocean Plankton

My questions is, should I feed for example, Dainichi in the morning and Hikari at night? or Dianichi on Mondays and Hikari on Tuesdays, etc. etc?

As far as the treats I was thinking about Brine Shrimp once every two weeks and Ocean Plankton once every two weeks, so basically once a month each. Let's say Week 2 of June I will give them Ocean Plankton and Week 4 of the same month Brine Shrimp.

I feed mine different things all the time, from bloodworm, mosquito lavae, algae wafers, and flake, no real pattern, just whatever i feel like (or what i have left in the cupbaord/freezer)... as long as it's varied and a mix of carnivorous and vaggie, it should be fine...

I feed mine cichlid flakes, pellets and sinking wafers. I feed them pellets mon-wed-fri and flakes on tues-thurs-sat-sun. Sinking wafers are given at night. Just find a schedule that works for u. I don't think it really matters as long as they get a variety in their diet.

Thanks guys, you have answered my doubts. I wasn't sure if there was a strict way of doing it or just something reasonable that worked for me. I'm making it too complicated. LOL!

It's been a huge topic of discussion on several threads here on AA but, I would never feed anything but New Life Spectrum. It's has everything to meet all of your fishes nutritional needs.
It's what I feed all my fish. My Mbunas & Angelfish (different tanks) both eat NLS Cichlid 1mm pellets, my juveniles eat the NLS Grow 0.5mm pellets . When my fry are born they'll get NLS Fry Powder and my Plecos get the NLS Wafers. Of course I have to put a couple extra wafers in for the Mbunas and Angels or they steal the food from the Plecos, greedy little suckers that they are.
Because NLS is so well balanced, I feed half the amount of other foods (cleaner tank) so in the long run it's cheaper.
The NLS Grow has given them such a great start. Last June I purchased a 1" Red Top Zebra, he was so tiny. But now, in less than a year he's just a smidge under 6". He's a spectacular Fish to watch move. Fortunately he's not aggressive towards any of his juvenile tank mates. He could swallow a few of them in 2 bites.
Oh and the colors that my Mbunas display are awesome. Their color is deep in the daylight but at night under just a flashlight, they are a rainbow of iridescent color. Even my Plecos glow under the flashlight, Thanks to NLS.
With NLS you never need to add any food to supplement their diet. Especially any live foods that can carry diseases.
I could go on & on about how great NLS is, but seeing is believing.
Half the amount once a day for the Adult fish, twice a day for the juveniles & 3 times a day for the Fry. Most important, every fish I have just loves NLS, they inhale it. And if for some strange reason your fish don't devour it the second it hits the water, NLS has a food for finicky eaters too!
There is no better food that you could feed your fish.
I only wish NLS made Dog and Cat food too.
If you'd like I will post a couple of pictures so you can see the intense color that NLS has given my Mbunas.

Hi WendiDell, thanks for sharing your experience with NLS, I was about to buy it when researching for food, but I went for Dainichi, although NLS seems to be a favorite amongst Cichlid hobbyists. I will probably give it a try and see how it goes.

Hi WendiDell, thanks for sharing your experience with NLS, I was about to buy it when researching for food, but I went for Dainichi, although NLS seems to be a favorite amongst Cichlid hobbyists. I will probably give it a try and see how it goes.

Not a problem always glad to help. Let me know how it's going a couple of weeks after you've made the switch to NLs.
Be sure to only use NLS to get the most out of their foods.

Back
Top Bottom