What's the best Flake Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am currently feeding my fish Omega One Super Color Flakes.
They are not really going for it and they prefer Hikari Brine Shrimp Freeze Dried Food and/or Frozen Bloodworms any day.
What flakes are you guys feeding your fish and what is of better quality?
Thank you.

[FONT=&quot]55 GAL Marineland[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (70 G Penguin 350B & 40G Sponge) filters
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1x Balloon Ram (male) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Swordtail [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3x Kuhli Loach [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Black Kuhli
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1x Blue Dwarf Gourami (male)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2x Bronze Cory[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Flame Dwarf Gourami (female)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1x Electric Blue Ram (female)[/FONT]

I don't feed flakes much, maybe once a week for variety. Mostly I feed New LIfe Spectrum .5mm community pellets for small fish or Hikari micro pellets (my fish have small mouths lol they have different sizes though). A couple of times a week I'll toss in some shrimp pellets or algae wafers for the Corys but the other fish munch on them too. I feed frozen bloodworms or shrimp every couple of weeks. I've heard the freeze-dried stuff can cause bloating/constipation issues so I stay away from it.

librarygirl said:
I don't feed flakes much, maybe once a week for variety. Mostly I feed New LIfe Spectrum .5mm community pellets for small fish or Hikari micro pellets (my fish have small mouths lol they have different sizes though). A couple of times a week I'll toss in some shrimp pellets or algae wafers for the Corys but the other fish munch on them too. I feed frozen bloodworms or shrimp every couple of weeks. I've heard the freeze-dried stuff can cause bloating/constipation issues so I stay away from it.

Thanks for the info.

I use ocean nutrition flakes and all the fish in my house seem ok with it. I supplement with frozen prawn eggs because my scarlet badis like them but if it were not for them I would be feeding only flake and algae wafers. If you have crayfish or something then a meaty food is more necessary (crushed snails was my dwarf crays favorite treat.)
However I would like to hear what other people say because I want to make sure I have the best flake food.

Any thoughts on Tetra Nature Gel Mix with Brine Shrimp or Blood Worms? I feed them a packet couple of times a week.

I've heard the freeze-dried stuff can cause bloating/constipation issues so I stay away from it.

I feed my fish freeze dried food (bloodworms, tubifex worms, etc), but I will first soak the food for 10+ minutes before I do. I believe that would alleviate any bloating or constipation problems, which my fish don't seem to have. It also helps to get the lower tank dwellers interested because they look alive when I pour them into the tank.

I also periodically feed my fish zucchini, and on occasion will feed them peas. That helps keep any constipation issues at bay.

I feed my fish freeze dried food (bloodworms, tubifex worms, etc), but I will first soak the food for 10+ minutes before I do. I believe that would alleviate any bloating or constipation problems, which my fish don't seem to have. It also helps to get the lower tank dwellers interested because they look alive when I pour them into the tank.

I also periodically feed my fish zucchini, and on occasion will feed them peas. That helps keep any constipation issues at bay.

Thank you for the info !!! :fish2:

I find that foods with high protein content tend to make fish constipated. I feed my fish xtreme aquatic food which is a spiralina and krill based flake. It's hormone free also and is high quality marine and vegetable proteins which help with natural color and promotes healthy growth, strong immune systems and active breeding. Once a week I also feed frozen bloodworms. I don't like freeze dried as it irritates my skin and tends to not be as clean.

Tubifex

I tried the soaking of the tubifex. It became an orange.brown blob, that whirled to the bottom and was ignored by just about all of the fish, except the catfish, Had to vacuum the stuff out, before it grew mold or so.
I now just press a cube against the glass, about half way down, and they seem to attack it with gusto.
Just an observation.
Haen

James_in_MN said:

How do you prepare the zucchini or peas so they can eat it easily?

Today i tried a very small piece of cucumber; it sank to the bottom and is ignored by all fish.
I have not tried zucchini yet.
I looks like they all just want Tetra crushed flakes.
The dried tubifex ( half a cube at the time) pressed against the front glass, is wildly eaten by my (still very small or small size) corys.
The rest swims up to it, and just eat what the corys pick loose.Keep on advising, I am never too old to learn.
Haen

I tried the soaking of the tubifex. It became an orange.brown blob, that whirled to the bottom and was ignored by just about all of the fish, except the catfish, Had to vacuum the stuff out, before it grew mold or so.
I now just press a cube against the glass, about half way down, and they seem to attack it with gusto.
Just an observation.
Haen

When you soak a tubifex worm cube, it will start to come apart into individual worms. Just tap on the cube with an object, say a spoon, and you will start to break the cube up into individual worms. Once the cube is broken up, pour it into the tank. Mine go just as nuts over those as they would with bloodworms.

haen said:
Today i tried a very small piece of cucumber; it sank to the bottom and is ignored by all fish.
I have not tried zucchini yet.
I looks like they all just want Tetra crushed flakes.
The dried tubifex ( half a cube at the time) pressed against the front glass, is wildly eaten by my (still very small or small size) corys.
The rest swims up to it, and just eat what the corys pick loose.Keep on advising, I am never too old to learn.
Haen

Did you microwave the cucumber 30-60 secs before dropping in tank? It will soften..

My fish and shrimp won't touch veggies (even blanched) until they have sat in the tank water for at least 12hours. Are you leaving it in long enough?

Back
Top Bottom