What's the difference between salt and freshwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetalHeadX343

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've owned and maintained varies kinds of fish in freshwater aquariums, but I know nothing about saltwater aquaria. Like what's so different about the two, what are some different things I need to purchase for a saltwater aquarium that's different from freshwater. What are the benefits of a coral reef? Is it more difficult to maintain than freshwater monster fish that are high maintenance and maintaining plants with fish? I need to know if there are specific heaters and filters that are just for saltwater. What kind of "meters" (for lack of a better word) I would need to maintain salinity and Ph levels. Finally I would like to know how much it would cost with a 60 gallon aquarium (excluding the aquarium and stand) and what I absolutely need to purchase and things that I can purchase at a later time. If anyone can just answer a few questions it's better than nothing and please don't send me to an article because they use terms I don't understand. Thank you.

Freshwater heaters would probably be ok for saltwater tanks. 1.020 - 1.025 salinity levels, 8.0 - 8.3 pH, 76 - 80 degrees Farenheit (spelling?). Im sure someone will give a link to some other article with basic terms, I just can't find it.

You need a refractometer, salt mix, and sand and live rock. The only difference between fresh and salt water is the salt. If you going reef, then you need a good lighting system. Heaters and filters are the same for both. You really need to keep up with topping off the tank with freshwater though, because the salinity goes up.

a good protein skimmer is a good thing to have for a salt tank too

I am converting a 46 and here are some of the costs I have had so far.

$550.00 - Cannister Filter, 36" 2 Lamp T5 Fix (should have went better), Glass Top, 40 Lbs of Live Sand, one bag of salt, new heater.
$60.00+/- on 2 power heads for tank
$30.00 +/- on power head for mixing salt
$80.00 on RO/DI filter for water.
$150.00 for 20 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of base rock
$30.00 on misc buckets and stuff from HD
$170.00 on live stock so far. Includes 2 clowns, 1 Six Line Wrasse, 1 Fire Shrimp, 3 Emerald Crab, 15 snails, 10 hermit crab, 2 small frags of coral.

It is a lot more work getting it set up but then it tapers off. It will always be more work though than the fresh water. You would think it wouldn't be worth it but I wouldn't go back to freshwater for nother. Mater of fact, I want a bigger tank. LOL

Back
Top Bottom