What's This Black Ominous Creepy-Looking "Stuff" on Hermie's Shell???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like some old cyano. Have you recently had an outbreak?

I think its just some algae dying off but another set of eyes would be good. Sorry I couldn't help any more.

crister13 said:
Def cyano.

Yep...I think you're right because we did have (what I thought was an algae bloom) a lot of haze in the water, and one day it was really cloudy. I used some Algae Fix on it, and it cleared up some but took at least 3 to 4 days to reach crystal clear water again. Ewwww!!! Don't want that happening again!!! I think it had something to do with the lighting because we were gone over weekend and the lights were on 24/7. When we returned, I found the tank in total disarray. There was MOSS (or something like it) growing all over the top of my Fluvall Edge. I literally cleaned it out by hand!!! Like I said previously, the water was hazy and icky looking. YUCK!!! I'm glad y'all mentioned cyano because I was not familiar with it...Boy!!!....Now I am!!! I read up on it, and it describes it perfectly. Now I know about it and how to prevent it. Thanks a bunch!!! That's bad stuff man!!!

Back
Top Bottom