Whats this lil guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aquaman29 said:
It's a red worm looking thing

It's bristle worm. Not good for aquarium, try to catch it, just not w/ your hands.

What happens if you use your hands? I think I may have been bitten by one of the many big ones in my aquarium

You probably weren't bitten, but stung. As the name suggests, bristleworms are covered in tiny, sharp porcupine-like bristles that will stick you..... some much more painful than others. If you have bristleworms in your tank, you want to wear something like mechanics gloves while in there.
There's nothing wrong with bristleworms in your tank..... they can be very beneficial members of your clean up crew. There are only a few out of a thousand+ species that are bad. If they get too big, just remove them with a trap or large forceps.

I have counted over 15 decent sized ones and was holding a rock that I know one lives in. Currently I'm just being careful while in there. How do i know if I was stung for sure? And does it just hurt?

Khij159753 said:
I have counted over 15 decent sized ones and was holding a rock that I know one lives in. Currently I'm just being careful while in there. How do i know if I was stung for sure? And does it just hurt?

If your asking then you haven't been stung.

Well that's good haha. Know anything else that would sting me and give me an ichy burning bump?

Back
Top Bottom