What's up with my danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onefish_Twofish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is she sick? Bloated? or pr - er, gravid?

6qqycdv.jpg

She's been like this for three weeks or more

Sure of what? I googled cloudfish and alhough there's such a thing as a clownfish, I can't find any cloudfish. So I conclude you are making some kind of joke.

I was asking about our fish because I want to know. It may be hilarious to more experienced aquarium keepers, but if my fish is sick I would like to know what to do. I know it is 'just a danio' but it is a living thing and if it is suffering, that's not OK.

:huh:

What other fish are in your tank? What are your water parameters? How's the fish's behavior? Lethargic? Is it eating normally?

No pineconing. I will try to send a picture. Other than the other zebra danio, no other fish. It's an isolation tank, since the other danios were harassing her (I think it's a her). Water parameters - Ph 7.5, ammonia pretty close to zero. I haven't tested nitrates.

Behaviour: seems normal. She swims around. Appetite - I can't say. I will check next time they get fed.

From your questions I deduce a gravid danio does not look like this?

Unfortunately I am not sure, but I don't think so. From my knowledge it is most like suffering from either dropsy or severe constipation. Due to how enlarged her belly is and your statement about harassment from other fish I'm leaning towards dropsy. Dropsy is a disease caused by a Bacteria that is in almost every tank. Fish with weak immune systems will contract the disease. Fish stressed by aggressive or harrassive tank mates may also contract it. Keep an eye on her and see if the scales pinecone. If they do then you know it's dropsy. Here's a link to treatment on dropsy. Unfortunately she may have been suffering from dropsy for so long now that treatment may not work as it is very fatal.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/blog/what-is-dropsy-and-how-do-i-treat-it

It could be constipation, you can try feeding her smooshed cooked shelled peas and see if that helps.

It could be gravid but I am not sure as I have not had or dealt with a gravid danio before.
Hope everything goes well.

As far as I know it's a logical question, I know nothing about pregnant fish

One of my fish just suffered from dropsy as well. Unfortunately he did not make it. But he would not eat. Food would float right in front of him and he would just sit there.

Parasite? Just read about how some can cause this type of bloating...

Back
Top Bottom