what's up with my ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed a few of my shrimp looking like this:

ForumRunner_20120910_031111.jpg

IMG_20120910_030919.jpg

I'm not sure what is going on with it, do they go cloudy before a molt? I've only seen a few in quite a while.

I've noticed the shrimp will gain textures and coloring matching the substrate I assume to help camouflage.

That does not look good to me.......... I thought he was a caterpillar at first. I think your shrimp have something wrong with them. What are your water params?

cyris69 said:
I've noticed a few of my shrimp looking like this:

I'm not sure what is going on with it, do they go cloudy before a molt? I've only seen a few in quite a while.

I've noticed the shrimp will gain textures and coloring matching the substrate I assume to help camouflage.

I'm of no help(sorry) but I have a ghost shrimp that looks the same as yours. It's been 'colored' for over a month and is still eating and acting normal. So I'm going to tag along to learn something as well.

Well if it has been ok for a month then maybe its not really a ghostie?

GodFan said:
Well if it has been ok for a month then maybe its not really a ghostie?

I have thought about this with mine too. But it's still kicking, so I'm not real worried.

Ghost shrimp is more of a generic name describing a few different species of shrimp that happen to be called ghost shrimp ... so that could be one of those that will show a solid color instead of clear. Could be ready to Molt ... or it's just camoflauging itself.

If it's still active and eating ... not much more you can do.

Sorry I haven't taken the water parameters yet last time I did they were perfect. I bought them all from the same batch, it eats and gets around just like all the others. Each of them have taken on their own unique camouflage but never solid.

He seems perfect healthy and is a vibrant yellow which is pretty neat.

I did just add a two inch y. modesta loach so I hope he leaves the shrimp alone and focuses on snails.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom