What's wrong with my tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrubilotta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am new to the game. I bought my daughter a 10 gallon tank and now it has turned into my obsession. It has been up and running for about 3 months now and has gone through the cycle process. I do the necessary water changes, feed lightly, limit light usage (no more than 8 hours a day), etc... Water testing has been good with a slight ammonia issue but that has been resolved. During the majority of the time my tank is continually cloudy/hazy. I vacuum my gravel every couple of weeks. The gravel holds a lot of debris and algae as well. Now all of a sudden my nitrite levels have increased which I was told that the tank still may be cycling. Is that possible? Any help would be appreciated along with any tips.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of filter is on this tank and what kind (and how often) of maintenance is performed on the filter?
It appears that the cycle has been interrupted. This can happen if the media is changed.
What kind and number of fish are in the tank? If you are feeding lightly and vacuuming there should not be that much debris accumulated in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Sometimes if you change to much water in a 10G it can cause a mini cycle. I would do about 30% weekly on a 10G and gravel vacuum once a month. I would also run a 15-20G filter too, like a Aqua-tech HOB. Also throw some polishing filtration media in your filter to help clear things up. And also a recommendation, I use Stress Zyme every water change but half the dose.

The filter is a Fluval filter. I just got this filter upgrading it from the Aqueon that came in the kit. I clean out the sponge every once in awhile using the same water I vacuumed out. I have 3 mollies, 1 platy, and 1 albino pleco..

If it is doing a mini cycle should I just let it be until it is finished cycling?

If it is doing a mini cycle should I just let it be until it is finished cycling?

Just continue to monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate AND do regular water changes (whatever your amount/schedule is)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plecos also create a lot of waste, so that may be overloading the system too

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom