What's wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowaguy27

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey my friends goldfish looks really bad. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396133787686.jpg
    1396133787686.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 54
Are his scales protruding like a pine one? Picture not overly clear. He may have dropsy?

Could you please provide the following so that we might be able to more accurately diagnose:
- tank size
- water parameters - does your friend have a water testing kit or access to tests at a local fish shop?
- water changing regime
- feeding regime
- how many fish in the tank

Thank you, Roz :)

She has only had it for two months
Tank is a 5 gallon (was going to be temporary and upgrade)

No kit but I will recommend to get it tested.
Water changes are weekly
Feed two times a day
two fish in tank including that one.

She has only had it for two months
Tank is a 5 gallon (was going to be temporary and upgrade)

No kit but I will recommend to get it tested.
Water changes are weekly
Feed two times a day
two fish in tank including that one.

The fish pictured is in a severe state of dropsy. Dropsy is not a disease itself but a symptom of systemic organ failure that results in fluid accumulation (pinecone appearance of scales).

Unfortunately, the main issue here is a severely overstocked tank that is uncycled. Exposure to high toxin levels is a primary causative factor, especially with fancy goldfish. A dropsied fish is extremely difficult to treat even under ideal circumstances and even if successfully treated, the damage caused to the organs will likely induce future dropsy episodes when the fish is even slightly stressed.

The best advice would be to either consider returning both fish now or investing in a 30-40g asap. Please ask any questions!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom