What's your diy c02 mix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I was looking at making a diy c02. I have seen some people use baking soda.. Some use more and less yeast.. I'm not sure exactly what the right amount is for my 10 gal or my 28 gal.

Also,
Are there any precautions or words of advice from any personal mishaps with this method? Such as exploding messes and things I need to know to avoid them haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys,

I was looking at making a diy c02. I have seen some people use baking soda.. Some use more and less yeast.. I'm not sure exactly what the right amount is for my 10 gal or my 28 gal.

Also,
Are there any precautions or words of advice from any personal mishaps with this method? Such as exploding messes and things I need to know to avoid them haha

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Hi, I have been using diy C02 in tanks for about a year now. I have tried several recipes here are the two that I like the best.
2cups sugar
1/2 TBS regular baking yeast
1 TBS baking soda
Activate the yeast first in a small bowl if luke warm water. Then sprinkle in a pinch of sugar and stir it gently with a fork. Then let it sit for about 15 minutes, stirring it ever 5 minutes or so. In the meantime mix up the sugar, baking soda and water in the 2L bottle. I fill it up about halfway with room temp water, and then shake it up very well. Then fill it the rest of the way up (about to were the top of the label is) and then shake it up again until everything is dissolved well. Then you will pour in the yeast mixture and hook it up to the aquarium. Using this recipe you will get a lot of C02 but it will taper off quickly. the other recipe that I like is.
1tsp of yeast
1 cup of sugar
a pinch of baking power
This recipe make less C02 but it last longer it use the same steps with this recipe as the one above.
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]O[/FONT]ne precaution is that you should never allow the pressure to build up in the bottle, with out a way for in to escape. Or else it will explode.
I hope this helps.:)

Back
Top Bottom