What's your favorite substrate grain size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what everyone's favorite grain size for aragonite substrate is.

Currently I have the Special Grade substrate and was looking for something a little smaller for my upcoming build. I was leaning towards fiji pink but I can't find it around here and the only other grain size I can find without ordering online is the oolite.

I like my grain size to be bigger. The smaller grain when I had it, it blew around everywhere. It also seemed harder to clean the smaller sand.

I happen to like a smaller grain sand, it;s especailly good for sifting critters. I have several tanks with different types of substrate and always go back to the smaller grains. I also have the pink fiji which I particularly like, it's too bad you cant find it locally.

If youre sand is blowing around then you need to adjust the flow, it's just a matter of finding the cherry spot for your powerheads. :)

The only time I think the smaller grain wouldnt be the best is with a very shallow tank, like a 20 long. Then you may have a hard time adjusting flow. My AC 70 used to blow the sand around in my 20L until I shortened the intake tube that is. The powerheads took some adjusting, quite a bit actually but it eventually was fine/

I have oolight and do not like it.. It kicks up easily!

It is however nice for sand sifting critters like previously said.

I have mine mixed, it tends to keep the finer sand down when cleaning the glass with a mag float or something and is just gine for inverts And Fish Like a wrasse or garden eels

I prefer substrate in the 1 to 2 mm grain size. My Mp10 doesn't blow it around at all and I can stir the top half with no sand storms.

Back
Top Bottom