When can I take my HOB filter out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an Aqueon quiet flow 40 on my 29g tank that is now an angelfish breeding tank so I got a sponge filter So that the fry won't be killed and I just put it in a few minutes ago. I was thinking that I could take the HOB out in like 2 weeks, right? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Probably longer than 2 weeks. I wouldn't feel safe about it until 4+ weeks. You could just wrap some fine filter media over the intake to keep the fry out.

I agree, 4 weeks is better, I usually do 6 just to be super safe

Ok well just wondering when the minimum is because I am going to use the HOB filter to seed a 55g I'm going to be setting up. So I think I'm going to wait maybe 5 weeks. Thanks for the help!

If you you are going to use a different filter for the 55, see if you can squeeze the media into your current media. Might as well start seeding the media now so then your filter will be further along than if you start seeding after setting up the 55.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you you are going to use a different filter for the 55, see if you can squeeze the media into your current media. Might as well start seeding the media now so then your filter will be further along than if you start seeding after setting up the 55.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What I've done for a couple tanks is just stick the bb filled cartridge (I use filter cartridges not media) in the new filter. It has worked great every time.

Back
Top Bottom