When does the ammonia level hit bad for the fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HookedOnFishh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I'm wounding when the ammonia level gets really bad for fish. Like the more hearty species and cross out tangs. Since, I'm been researching for a 1 year I'm trying to my best for research since I want to try to breed the fire-fish so doing a saltwater experience will help me with that.

Main question: what's the dangerous level for ammonia for hardy fish species? (Without coral haul the fish.)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically any level is dangerous. In a cycled aquarium though you shouldn't see any ammonia anyway.

Caleb

Ya like what would be a certain level while it becomes dangerous?

At a green tinge on the drip test, the water can irritate the fish's lungs. This causes them distress, which lowers their ability to fight off infection. This combination makes them more prone to illness just like us. Infection can set in and they'll be unable to fight it off, which weakens them further until they succumb and die.

This is what is meant by technically any level is dangerous. Please do right by the lives you've accepted responsibility for, give them a safe place to live by making sure their water is clean and dechlorinated, even if that means daily water changes until the drip test shows bright yellow after five or so minutes left to develop. :) They'll do their healthy fishy thing for you in return, which is fantastic!

When does the ammuioa level hit bad for the fish?

Ya, I think I was using tap and it may have ammonia in it. But my RO is freezing cold but I'll do a water change with RO. I mean heat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom