When is it time to change filter pad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBailey0625

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my tank is just about cycled, its been almost 2 months. Is it time to change the filter pad? Or should I wait until tank is completely cycled?

Only change it when it is literally falling apart.

Think about it. Why do you cycpe in the first place? To build up BB. Where? On the filter pad! Throwing it away defeats the purpose of cycling IMO. :0

+1 The filter pad does hold a significant portion of your beneficial bacteria. Just rinse it out in a bucket of old tank water when you do a PWC. I've been using the same sponges in my filters for years.

Ok thank you. Just curious, if and when you do change the filter pad do you lose the ben bacteria in the aquarium? Would you have to cycle your take again, and why do they sell them in mutiple pack if you dont suppose to change them out

when it's time to change the filter pad, try to seed the new pad for a few months first. Do this by squishing the new filter pad in the filter with the old one so it can pick up the bacteria from the old pad. Leave it like this for as long as possible before throwing away the old pad (At least a few months if you can). Then simply throw away the old one, leaving in the new one that is now chock full of the BB you need! Doing this will prevent you from having to cycle again. I've had the same pad for almost a year and my tank is doing great so don't be in a hurry to change it. Besides it saves money not having to replace it right? lol

Back
Top Bottom