When to clean filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter4158098

Aquarium Advice Activist
So have had my tank up for 2 months one month fishless cycle then slowly added fish. Want to know when I need to check my filter I have a 306 fluval on a 55 gallon fresh water tank with 5 serpae 5 black skirts 5 yellow pristilas 5 bloodfin tetras

Every water change clean your filter. Everything in the filter other then the bb will pollute your water.

I'd check it every time you do a water change and squeeze all the crud out of the sponges into a bucket of tank water from the water change.
It can really restrict flow and affect the filter if you don't do it.
It can also add nitrates.
Just make sure the water is tank water and that you don't let the filter inserts dry out.

Also have you changed out the filter inserts at all? Bc this can cause your tank to crash if you don't "seed" the new media for a couple weeks before tossing the old one. You do that by stuffing the new media next to the old. In my aquaclear I just change one insert at a time to avoid a mini cycle.

This is why I ask. On occasion this is what my filter is doing only usually after a water change.

ForumRunner_20120630_144421.jpg

For HOB filters, I clean the media in old tank water every week and clean the housing and impeller monthly.
For canisters, I clean them out in old tank water monthly.
This routine has never failed me.

Is that air coming out of your return line? That's not an issue really. When your water level drops during a PWC your return, and intake, line may get some air in it. It should purge in short measure. Do you have valves on your canister so that the air does not get too far and you have to re-prime the filter?

You should turn everything off during a water a water change. A pump is designed to suck water up from a certain height. When the water is lowered the distance becomes greater which makes the pump work harder. This will wear out the motor faster. Also this way you have no chance of getting shocked...

Back
Top Bottom