When to get plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just tested my water and really want to add plants soon. The plants I want are: Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri), Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana), Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’). And here are my test results:

pH = 7.2
Ammonia = 1.0
Nitrate = (I would guess 7 becuase it was between the 5.0 and 10 colors)
Nitrite = 0
Temperature = 80.0 - 81.2 (I'll have to turn this down eventually, but is set at 78)

What levels should I be looking for in order get these plants if the tank is not ready for them yet?

I just tested my water and really want to add plants soon. The plants I want are: Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri), Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana), Anubias Nana (Anubias barteri v. ‘Nana’). And here are my test results:

pH = 7.2
Ammonia = 1.0
Nitrate = (I would guess 7 becuase it was between the 5.0 and 10 colors)
Nitrite = 0
Temperature = 80.0 - 81.2 (I'll have to turn this down eventually, but is set at 78)

What levels should I be looking for in order get these plants if the tank is not ready for them yet?

you can add the plants at anytime

what do you have for lighting? CO2? Ferts?

Yes, lighting is very important in regards to what sorts of plants you can keep alive in a tank. Shoot for at least one watt per gallon if you are serious about growing good plants. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all excellent plant nutrients so, like JDogg said, you can add the plants at any time during your cycle. In fact, they will help soften the nitrogen spikes by absorbing NH3, NO2, and NO3.

Well right now I have the lighting that came with the tank hoods which are 2 24" flourescent light bulbs... would this sufficient lighting? Also, I do not have any fertilizer, just gravel, and no CO2 either.

Last edited:
Is your tank a 55G? Just guessing that it is with 2x24" lights. If so, they are barely sufficient to grow low-light plants. Vallisneria and Anubias nana will probably do OK, but it really won't be enough light to keep Amazon swords happy. They may survive, but they will not thrive. I would suggest looking into at least doubling the amount of light you have if possible.

With low lighting it really isn't necessary to fertilize if you've got a decent fish load to provide organic waste/nutrients for the plants. CO2 is also not necessary. Light is always the foremost consideration when growing plants and, in most cases, the element that is most lacking. Unfortunately, standard aquarium fluorescents just don't produce enough light for lush, healthy plant growth. If you can find two more 24" fixtures or a 48" double-tube fixture, you can greatly increase the quality and health of the plants you can keep.

Is there a way I could just upgrade the lights without having to but another hood? I figured that the ones I have now are not top quality so I'm hoping there is a cheaper way to improve my lighting situation.

If you've got a plastic hood you are very limited in your lighting options because you only have two little slots for light to enter. You could retrofit your existing light fixtures with T-5 bulbs, which may be more work than its worth. Glass lids are the way to go for planted tanks because they allow you to place the lights anywhere on the top of the tank. They usually run about $25 per 24" lid, so roughly $50 for a 55G, if that's what you've got. Then you can use virtually any light that will fit over your tank.

I just wanted to add: Do not add anymore light rightnow. If you add more light to your setup with 1.0 PPM NH3 in your tank, you will most curtainly have algae issues. Green Water is not the nicest thing to have nor is it always the easiest to get ride of.

Adding plants will greatly help your cycle by not only using the NH3, but if it came from a tank that was cycled it will be covered in good bacteria. Plants waste energy converting NO3 to NH3 and they really don't like NO2 very much. Plants will not absorb nitrites like they do ammonia and nitrates (well, they really don't absorb nitrates either, but they can easily convert them to ammonia).

If you don't want to be stuck with Java fern, Java moss, and Anubias, then you'll need a new hood for more wattage.

If you are fine with those plant choices, then you could keep what you have. :)

Thank you Kristin, that's the answer I was looking for. (no offense to everyone else; thanks for your input and advice)

Back
Top Bottom