Planted 5g w/ Betta: Water Parameter Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce410

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for help in finding a path towards better water quality for my Betta in a 5 gallon planted aquarium. Water source filtration a solution?

Tank Details:
Fish: 1 Betta (Male Hmpk / blue fancy marble)
Snails: 1 zebra nerite

Plants: Alternanthera Lilacina & Vallisneria Nana
Substrate: Fluval Stratum base + SuperNaturals top layer
Filter: Dennerle corner filter (interior to tank)
Water change treatment = Prime
Light = Fluval Nano Freshwater - sunrise/sunset programs - daylight is only set to 4 hours to assist with reduction of algae growth.

Water Parameters after 20% water change (15-20% change done weekly for a while now)
- Temp = 78 deg F

- pH = 7.6 (tap = 7.9)

- GH = 6 dKH (tap = 9 dKH, 160 ppm)

- KH = 5 dKH (tap = 6 dKH)

- Ammonia = 0.0 ppm (didn't measure tap)

- Nitrate = 5 ppm (tap = 0.0 ppm)

- Phosphate = 1.0 ppm (tap = 1.0 ppm)

I believe I need to reduce Nitrate and Phosphate, but the high phosphate levels are also present in tap water... so a water change won't help the Phosphates.

Given my high pH from the tap and in the tank along with the GH/KH levels, what do you all recommend I do for getting my parameters more in check (and helping reduce algae that I have to deep clean out every week)?
Would a fix all solution be to get RO system (seems overkill purchase for one 5g tank...) or is there another filter I should use for the faucet I get my aquarium water from? If RO, what's the best products to add minerals back to water?

Long post, sorry - but wanted to get you all the details. Thanks in advance.

Are you having any issues? If your fish are happy and healthy thats the main thing.

Nitrate looks good. Target should be to keep them below 20ppm.

Phosphate is a little high, consequence of that might be some algae growth. Is that a major issue to clean in a small tank?

Fish seems healthy, but I think the in depth algae cleaning is a weekly stressor. Always seems stress for a day or two after my weekly cleaning.
So my main issue is the algae growth being pretty rapid in one weeks time and it's limiting the growth of my plantings.

Recommendations for lowering Phosphate without harming the other parameters? Should I get a faucet filter that will do the trick or should I insert something into the tank?

Thanks for the reply!

Are you having any issues? If your fish are happy and healthy thats the main thing.

Nitrate looks good. Target should be to keep them below 20ppm.

Phosphate is a little high, consequence of that might be some algae growth. Is that a major issue to clean in a small tank?

- Some good quality tap water filters will remove phosphates.
- RO water. Rather than remineralising mix it 50/50 with tap water. Your tap water phosphate should then be halved.
- Rainwater or bottled spring water.
- Phosphate removing foam pads you can put in your filter.

Are you using carbon your filter? That will also be a source of phosphate.

Maybe I'll look into the tap water filters (under sink) first... in a rental unit and don't want to install too much.

Bottled spring water actually ok? (small tank so not too bad quantity wise... could add up $)

No carbon in my filtration. :cool:

- Some good quality tap water filters will remove phosphates.
- RO water. Rather than remineralising mix it 50/50 with tap water. Your tap water phosphate should then be halved.
- Rainwater or bottled spring water.
- Phosphate removing foam pads you can put in your filter.

Are you using carbon your filter? That will also be a source of phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom