When will my clownfish snuggle with the anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackyt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I've had my tank set up for about four months and in it I have two percula clownfish, one coral banded shrimp and some hermit crabs. I recently (in the last week) bought a sebae anemone for my clownfish. How long does it usually take for the clownfish to adopt it? At the moment they seem wary of it, and don't really go near it.
The anemone has settled into a position and is eating well and looking healthy.

Thanks!

It may never happen. Your never guaranteed that the clowns will ever be interested. And then if they do, it could take months before they bother. Just as an FYI, your tank is really quite young and ideally you'd want a more mature tank before adding an anemone. With good husbandry though, careful watching of water quality it may do fine. Good luck.

My clowns took about 2 weeks to take an interest in the sebae I gave them. Before that, they avoided it like the plague.

Then the anemone took a walk and ended up as powerhead food...but that's another story... ;)

Good luck!

thank god, once my GSM saw the BTA. he jumped into it right away. it took about 20mins. GSM was hiding the 1st 19mins

My LFS sells them as a pair to ensure the relationship between the clown and the anemone we just bought a true percula and a rose tip anemone. But its still at the LFS until our tank is completely stable.

It took 6 months, maybe a little longer, before one of my clowns discovered my anemone. The other clown still hasn't.

The real answer is that it will happen sometime between today and never. If you're dying to see it happen, I've read that the tomato clowns almost always host immediately.

by false clowns took to my BTA in about 3 days. I don't know if this helped or not but i put one of those lettuce clips that look like a clown fish next to the anemone. A day later, the clowns were playing in the BTA. The lettuce clip may have had nothing to do with it but it very well might have.

But yeah, sometimes they'll host and other times they won't. Just fyi but certain clowns take to certain anemones more often. There's a list i found somewhere of which ones go with which anemones.

Back
Top Bottom