Where can i find a hood for my new aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just purchased a 75 gallon tank/stand from a guy off craigslist. He didnt have any of the lighting for it and im having trouble finding some. Its 48h x 18w. Its split into two sections which are 24inches. All the hoods that i find online are for narrow tanks, and mines a wide so when i put the normal hood on there it leaves a huge gab in the back. Any way around this?

You can purchase glass tops and a light seperately, depending on what you are going to do with the tank will depend on what type lighting you will want to go with.

You can also go topless, of course depending on what type of fish you are going to keep in it because some are jumpers and/or escape artists.

There is also the option of going to your local glass shop and getting some glass cut for it, or plexi glass. Plexi glass does tend to bow inwards over time though.

I'm sure some others will chime it with some suggestions as well :)

i prefer no top on mine, though some tanks you just have to have something. Depending on what kind of fish you get, you could get a screen top of some sort or eggcrate. No top promotes better oxygen exchange, which means healthier living conditions for the fish

Speaking of screen tops.. I have used the 1 inch wire to make tops for mine, I used this for my 55 as a temporary top so I could sit the light on top of it, but on my 5 gallon betta top it is a permanant top to keep the cats out :). I left about one inch over hang on all sides of the tank then bent down the wire and voila..

You can buy glass tops for that size tank easily. You want 2 24" glass tops for each side.

Another option would be a DIY canopy, if you have some basic carpentry skills.

Back
Top Bottom