where can I get some assassin snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got a huge overpopulation of Malaysian trumpet snails. I like them for my sand substrate but there are so many at this point I believe its impacting my water quality. I removed as many as I can each day and I do not overfeed... but when I feed my bottom feeders they colonize on their food immediately... the kuhli loaches, cories, and bristlenose plecos devour it quickly but the snails still get enough to keep their population growing.

So I would like to get some assasin snails to help cut back on the population. Does anyone online want to mail me some? I can pay via paypal as long as its reasonable. Or any affordable online sources?

Also how do they reproduce? And do they like to burrow in sand? Would they eventually replace my population of Malaysian trumpet snails or would they eat each other?

I've got a huge overpopulation of Malaysian trumpet snails. I like them for my sand substrate but there are so many at this point I believe its impacting my water quality. I removed as many as I can each day and I do not overfeed... but when I feed my bottom feeders they colonize on their food immediately... the kuhli loaches, cories, and bristlenose plecos devour it quickly but the snails still get enough to keep their population growing.

So I would like to get some assasin snails to help cut back on the population. Does anyone online want to mail me some? I can pay via paypal as long as its reasonable. Or any affordable online sources?

Also how do they reproduce? And do they like to burrow in sand? Would they eventually replace my population of Malaysian trumpet snails or would they eat each other?
You could order some off Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums or go to your LFS and ask to get some ordered in.

I found they arent as much of a "miracle cure to snails" as made out to be. Personally my best success with snails has been to put in a food pellet, or something like that in and scoop em out. Since you have loaches and other bottom feeders you could probably hang it near the top of the tank (maybe in a cut in half waterbottle bottom) and collect alot of snails like that and just toss them?

I got mine on Aquabid. The seller sent me three even though I bought two, and they have been good so far. Have had them for a few months now.

I have to agree the assassin snails are no miracle cure for a mts infestation. I have put 7 in my 70 gallon, they keep them in check sort of, I still need to manually remove mts at least every couple weeks. I also do not overfed or anything
I would ask your lfs to order some or check online I know love aquaria has (expensive) or aquabid

Thanks ill check those sources. I guess I could sell some as well. I don't want to eradicate them. Just reduce the population. And I manually remove probably a couple hundred a week... no joke.

Assassin snails don't reproduce nearly as fast as the MTS, so you wouldn't be trading one infestation for another.

They will bury themselves in the substrate when the aren't out searching for food, but the don't dig through it like the MTS does.

I had a nasty outbreak like you in my 45 gallon. I put 4 Assassin snails in and after 3-4 months the MTS population was greatly reduced. I still only have 4 Assassins, though I for all I know its because they're all the same gender.

Assassin snails don't reproduce nearly as fast as the MTS, so you wouldn't be trading one infestation for another.

They will bury themselves in the substrate when the aren't out searching for food, but the don't dig through it like the MTS does.

I had a nasty outbreak like you in my 45 gallon. I put 4 Assassin snails in and after 3-4 months the MTS population was greatly reduced. I still only have 4 Assassins, though I for all I know its because they're all the same gender.

Where did you get your assassins?

Oh, sorry. lol

One of my LFS stocks them regularly. The store specializes in aquarium stuff though, so it's not a big box store like Petco or Petsmart.

I just picked up 4 in ma., recently had a mts outbreak myself, they must have come in on a java fern mat, I'll let you know how they do, put 4 in 10 g, going to move 2 into my 29 next week, hopefully they reproduce in the 10 fast!

I got some from the classifieds here on AA. I got 10. I had such a massive pond snail invasion! Now I breed pond snails to keep them fed! They are also breeding. They are very slow to breed and even slower to develop, I have only caught sight of the babies twice now.

Back
Top Bottom