where should the new tank go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Where should the new tank go?

• On the wall in front of the AC unit?

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • On the wall shared with my 'friendly' neighbor?

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will hopefully be upgrading my 20 gal to a 40 breeder next weekend (everyone together. . . HURRAY!) but I'm not sure where to put it. I have a small apartment and the only room I really have a place for it is my bedroom.

Option1: The wall I have the 20gal tank on now works fine except that it's about 4.5' from the vent of an AC unit that's built into the wall. It was a problem this summer because the air temp was about 8-10 degrees colder than the water temp, so it was hard on my little gourami. I'd had Styrofoam insulation & cut that to fit the top, which helped quite a bit. But since the new tank is bigger, it'll probably only be about 3' away.

Option 2: The opposite wall, which is shared with my neighbor. The current resident we'll just say entertained quite a bit so I worried that the vibrations on the wall would be stressful for the fish. It looks like she's moving (another big HURRAY!) but there's no guarantee the that next tenant would be different. It's still in the same room as the only source of AC but it's not right in the way of the vent.

So, which would you choose?

Thanks!!!

The wall away from the ac. I don't think vibrations will bother the fish once they get used to it. My 55 and my small 20 gallon are both on my outside wall that gets a lot of noise because I live in an apartment and people coming up and down the stairs on the other side of the wall. Plus, my entertainment center is on that wall too. They don't seem bothered a bit by the noise.

That would be better than the unstable water temp from the AC. I have my 30 gallon tank under an air duct that is both the heater and AC and I have to watch the temp more than the other two tanks.

the vibes wont bother the fish enough to stress em, they will act weird for a bit and prolly hide but will come around, My surround sound sub is right between my tanks and i have witnessed nothing that bothers them. The AC unit will rapidly cool the tank and cause issues.

Lucky fish, they must be less sensitive than I am (had to move my bed). Since it's in the same room as the AC, should I have the insulation ready?

All my rooms have AC outlets and I have never needed to use insulation. I actually turned my AC on this past summer before I needed it because my tanks were getting too warm. It helped keep the tanks at around 80 degrees instead of the 82-84 they were climbing to.

How do you get them to leave??? She had me considering it!

Anyway, thanks, I have that side of the wall mapped out, trying to envision how it will look & how much space I'll have. Just have a few more issues, which should appear in a future post. . .

Back
Top Bottom