Where to buy fiddler crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1sttimefiddler

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning,

I live in central Virginia and am in process of setting up a fiddler crab tank. Does anyone out there have any idea where I can buy my fiddler crabs? I am willing to travel within Virginia to buy them, I just can't seem to find any pet stores that have them locally. I can travel to Northern VA, Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Front Royal, Winchester....etc. Any advice on where to purchase would be appreciated.

Thanks...:cool:

I know petsmart carries them in my area, Id contact LFS's and see if they have them if not they surely can pick them up when they go and pick out their stock.

Thanks for the advice. Our local Petsmart and Petco don't have them. we did find some at Noah's Ark in Front Royal and Wal-Mart in Front Royal. Will probably buy from Noah's Ark as they appear to be in better condition/cared for. Thanks again.

I just started a crab tank too! Fiddler's are totally amazing. Good luck with your tank and post lots of pics! :) btw, what sort of setup are you doing?

--Adeeb

Here's a pic of our set up. We have not picked up our fiddler's yet. We will buy them this coming weekend. We want to have four max. Much like you, this is an extra 10 gallon tank we had and decided to set up for our fiddlers. We just have to figure out a way to seal the back of the hood, so we don't experience the same issue you did. We might use some window screen (mesh). Have to figure it out soon. What do you feed yours?

Thanks!:)

Attachments

• crab tank.JPG
    crab tank.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 37,064
Nice, it's looking good. I would try to add a bit more land space, and some godet spots. You using PFS? I was cheap and used play sand, it sucks... For the hood, I have mine duck taped now, works well. Just can't take the hood completely off. I'm feeding mine algae wafers for now, since they passed up bloodworms and flakes. Gotta find some crabby foods, and try to get them to eat on land. The wafers are messing with water quality. If you get fiddler food, I would avoid the hermit crab/ fiddler ones, because they have ethoxyquin. I don't know about fiddlers, but I used to have hermit crabs, and ethoxyquin causes molt problems for them, eventually killing them... Good luck, your tank is looking great so far :)

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom