where to find krill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that you can manually feed BTA's with krill....I just got my first anemone yesterday. Had a nice big flat spot for him....got him on it, and apparently the the flow was too much because within an hour he was on the whole other side of the tank in a corner. He looks healthy and pretty, though. My clown doesn't want anything to do with him yet. I thought anemones liked medium flow? He is definately in the lowest flow area in my tank at the moment.

Should I feed him Krill at some point? Where would I get it? TIA

The krill that I have is from the LFS. I'll ocassionally feed my little BTA a bite of krill or 3 when I feed the tank (the big ones don't need any help, lol). My clown was a natural born pro at hosting and has taken to any anemone in the tank within minutes of the anemone going in. It is not unusual at all for it to take some time for them to find each other though.

Good luck and enjoy! I get such a warm fuzzy feeling watching my clown nuzzle in the anemones. I just find their relationship amazing.

If you want to feed your anemone, you should feed something smaller. Larger pieces of food aren't natural or good for them. Try blowing some mysid toward it.
It will take a few days for your new anemone to settle in and find just the right light and flow to suit it. It may move several times over the next week. It will also take some time for it to click with your clown that he is drawn to this thing, if it ever happens. Good luck.

Thanks! My clown is a tank raised perc and so I'm quite sure that he's never seen an anemone in his life! It'll be a miracle if he hosts it, but I'd sure love to see it happen. Thanks for the advice! I already have some frozen mysis which I'll try and I'll pick up some krill too just in case. Thanks.

Hmm.... Pretty sure I read on here that people were feeding silversides/krill to their BTAs. At least I think that's where I got the idea from! Even my little guy (seems so funny to be calling him that) yanks it quickly to his mouth and devours it in near no time at all. Mysis seems just way too small for the task.

Small pieces are ok but not large chunks. (whole krill and silversides) It does work for some where as not for others. To large of peices will cause the anemone to spit it back out eventually (this doesn't always happen right away and you may miss it happening at all) and in turn, it causes stress and the anemone will slowly starve to death. As for mysid being to small? Nah. In the wild, how often do you think they would catch a whole fish? Moreso it would be the bits of fish and stuff left over that would hit the bottom.

The krill pieces that I feed them are usually about 1/8 by MAYBE 1/4 (I've never actually measured these) are they really too big? I chop it for the other things (brain, lobo, sun, etc) in my tank so I could just as easily feed it the chopped v. I just thought it wanted something a tad larger. Hmmmm. Ok. Chopped it is.

I think 1/8-1/4" is perfect. During a recent Calfo seminar, he said you shouldn't feed anything larger than a mysid which would be about 1/4". Your good Phyllis. :wink:

Just to clarify, large chunks to me would be whole or even half pieces of krill or silversides. If you have chopping it up, I'm sure that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom