Which 2 filters should i use.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gallon cichlid tank currently being filtered with 2 HOB filters, an aquaclear 110 and an emperor 400. I just gota cascade 1000 canister filter too. My question is, out of the 3, which 2 would you use? Should I use the canister and replace one or stick with what I'm using now?

Really? 3 filters seems a bit much, but I am new to this so I'm still learning!

Its not too much current. Cichlids need really good filtration. You would get approximately 1000gph with all 3. For a 90g, thats pretty good water turnover per hour

CraigMac said:
I have a 90 gallon cichlid tank currently being filtered with 2 HOB filters, an aquaclear 110 and an emperor 400. I just gota cascade 1000 canister filter too. My question is, out of the 3, which 2 would you use? Should I use the canister and replace one or stick with what I'm using now?

Try all 3 then if its to much just take an hob off

if you are pulling one pull the aquaclear to keep the BioWheels

Aquaclear filters are definitely better than Emperor filters IMO..Have never had much luck with the Emperor Bio-wheel Filters..

I also co-sign the Aquaclear, I am currently making the switch over on all my tanks. I only have one emp.400 left on my 75 and that's running with a AC110. My 55,30,25 are all running AC's. The bio wheel is overrated IMHO. The media you can add to ac's is unmatched.

I certainly wouldn't remove the AC. It is so easy to clean you can do it every water change and the inserts last for many years. I wouldn't add the cannister. Keep in mind that adding another filter will not reduce the need for water changes, it will just give you one more filter to maintain. If it was me, I would have only the AC on it.
If you have one filter that is adequate (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite) and you add a second they will split the load, and your nitrate number will remain the same. As well, every solid surface in the tank will support nitrifying bacteria which aids in biological filtration.

Back
Top Bottom