Which canister filter brand should I go with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have plans to update the current filtration on my 55 gallon planted tank to a canister filter and would like some recommendations and personal experience with different brands.
I really wanted to just get 2 aquaclear 50s but I unfortunately don't have the wall clearance for them.

Thanks in advance1

I had a Fluval but I didn't like it as much as my Rena. I had the Fluval a long time ago so they may be better now.

I have owned a few, with certain examples running no problems for over a year, of the Aquatop "eBay clone" canister filters. I think the middle sized model runs somewhere around $80 now? Hard to beat for the money IMO.

I use Renas exclusively. I have used several different brands, and like the Renas best.

I have owned a few, with certain examples running no problems for over a year, of the Aquatop "eBay clone" canister filters. I think the middle sized model runs somewhere around $80 now? Hard to beat for the money IMO.

I run a fluval fx5 on my 75 and an ebay canister w a 5w uv sterilizer in it think about 530gph rating and for the money I would repeat the purchase of the ebay canister i paid just under a 100 for it compared to the 300+ for the fx5. For the money you can not beat the ebay deal

i bought a 65 gallon freshwater setup that i am turning into a SW tank.. It came with a Eheim 2026 canister filter, 90-100 gallon filter..I'm selling if interested.. i have it on eBay and Craigslist i am putting it up for sale here tomorrow..

img_2050162_0_537b06a297fb8bf48b4efc6709912580.jpg

img_2050162_1_80435b5fe308fe487a5aed1e236ee34f.jpg

img_2050162_2_d01879e1f73d3ac84a06086032512b9e.jpg

XP Rena are great, I needed another one and petsmart had none, so I went with a Marineland, those are surprisingly very good as well.

Morgie said:
I have plans to update the current filtration on my 55 gallon planted tank to a canister filter and would like some recommendations and personal experience with different brands.
I really wanted to just get 2 aquaclear 50s but I unfortunately don't have the wall clearance for them.

Thanks in advance1

What did you end up deciding on? I'd love an update!

Back
Top Bottom